Clue #14 is Grand Radiance!

 Grand Radiance is a beautiful block!  We are going to add Combination Unit pairs to the series for this fantastic block!


For fabric selection, try and pay attention to the value as much as possible.  As you know, I don't have as big of a span of value in my Bermuda Batik, but I tried to honor it as much as possible.  

My fabric selection
We are going to start off with making Corner Beam.  I had some fun, semi-fussy cutting my Paisley Rose fabric selection.

Remember to take your time when trimming your Corner Beams, so that you have a proper 1/4" seam in the point. 
Combination Units are really fun to make. A few tips.  

We match the Background to the Dark, make sure to put the Med-Dark aside. 
Once sewn, you want to mark the Background/Dark units.  Place them in the center of the Med-Dark square.  They will be different sizes, as one is pieced. 
Make sure to center the pieced units

I recommend putting them all in the same direction when you cut them down the center, after piecing. 
You will want to keep these in (2) separate piles.  One set you will press towards the QSTs and the other press toward the Half Square Triangle.  This will help with nesting later. 
Keep them in "like" piles once you trim them. 

We have Tri-Color Square-in-Square, but you have this, just keep your HST organized and in the proper position.

Once you have the Square-in-Square Units trimmed, you can move onto Block Construction.

You will put the Tri-Colored Square-In-Square together.  Consider precision pinning those points.  
They should line up perfect, but sometimes it is better to pin now than to rip later. 

I would recommend pin when you put your Center rows together, making sure to protect that open seam. 


 Next, we will put together the pairs of Combination Units.  These should come together easily.
I would recommend turning them all around as it is easier when you start with the nested side.  Then, I would double pin the non-nested seam. 


Now we are ready to put the Block together, and believe it or not, it really comes together easily.  Just take time to pin those open seams to keep them from coming undone. 

Make sure to check the orientation of your Combination Unit pairs, I've seen more than one similar block with these turned. 
The rows will come together easily too!

How tada!


I'm loving this series, I hope you are too.  I'd love to hear if you feel you are learning something new, even if it is just one tip in a unit that you are already comfortable with... or if you have learned something that has help you fix a mistake you made previously. 

Hope to hear from you!  I can't wait to see your blocks in the Facebook group. 

Keep stitching,
Michelle 

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!