Magnificent Marvel is Clue #13's Block

Magnificent Marvel is Clue #13's Block!  Thank you for your patience as I recover.  I've been so sick, I've failed to officially launch two new patterns; Betty's Beauties and Huntington Square.  Both are made with Square Squared, Tucker Trimmer and Wing Clipper.  

Betty's Beauties is in tribute to my Aunt Betty, who passed last year, she was a fabulous mentor, especially in my early years.  I miss her greatly.  This is a really fun pattern, four different size options and creates fun little flowers.  Great for a little girl's quilt, a beautiful wall hanging, a great summer throw, or even a fabulous summer bed quilt. 


Huntington Square is a layer cake quilt, made with  (40) 10" squares plus an accent and a background.  So, pull out those Layer Cakes you have been saving and get busy.  Alternatively, you could use (40) Fat Eights or even (20) Fat Quarters.   Makes a great large throw. 

You can purchase them in my online shop, or ask for them at your local quilt shop. 

So, back to this week's clue. 

Magnificent Marvel is a fabulous block, it has fabulous movement, but also gives us a nice place to use a beautiful focus fabric in the light placement.

Here is my fabric selection.  I really used my Focus (light) fabric to determine the other fabric I wanted to use.  I was mindful to make sure that the Medium fabric had enough contrast to my Focus/light fabric. 

Construction recap, since we've made all these units prior, I'm just going to give a quick recap.  

Unit A & B are small Corner Beams so be sure to take your time with trimming them, to ensure you do not short trim that corner where the point is...  you need that to be a 1/4". 



Unit C- Are Half Square Triangles

Unit D- Are Dual-Colored Diamond Rects, take your time and double check that placement of those Side Triangles, you need them to be paired on the long side to form the proper Block.

Unit E is Square-in-Square, make sure to trim that center to the perfect size.

Block Construction - Here is where you need to be very careful. 

Create the Corner Beam pairs with your B units.  I would sew with the corner point at the bottom.  I would consider precision pinning those points.  Sew with your best 1/4" seam. 
Press them open and make sure it is nice and flat.
Next, put your Quilt Block Center together.  Make sure you double check orientation.  This should come together easily. Make sure to follow the pressing instructions so that you can "work the nest" when you put the rows together.
Check out my Bermuda Batik version, see how the Orange/Pink pops with that Navy blue.  Fabric selection does matter.
Next layout the corner units, make sure to check your orientation of your units.  
This come together nicely.  
Now, we are ready to layout the Block.  I would consider precision pinning those points.  
Paisley Rose version

Bermuda Batik version

Stitch them into rows and then sew the rows together.
Paisley Rose version

Bermuda Batik version

Really important to precision pin and protect those open seams. 
Tada!  I think this is another fabulous block.  It really is a showcase for that focus fabric.  With the background fabric in the center, it keeps this block from becoming too heavy. 
Paisley Rose version

Bermuda Batik version

I love this series, I hope you do too.  I can't wait to see your blocks in the Facebook group.  

Keep Stitching,
Michelle 

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!