Sunset on the Sound - Clue #7 & Quilt Events!

You know what day it is?  Thank goodness it is Friday!  Long week!  

Which means another clue is revealing!  Yeah!  Everyone is doing so well keeping up and showing their fabulous fabric choices in the SOTS Facebook group.  We currently have 245 members in the FB group, and the weekly Mystery Clue is averaging about 550 unique downloads a week!  We've had so new folks join us in the last few weeks and they seem to be catching up too!

Last week I had the great pleasure of sharing a long weekend with 10 fabulous women at my Quilter's Choice Retreat, at the Strong House Inn.  We shared, laughed and sewed!  Make sure to check out the progress these ladies made on my Sew On the Go Facebook Page!
Quilter's Choice Retreat 2019 ~ Quilting in Vermont ~ Strong House Inn
If you are interested in joining one of my smaller retreats, my Quilting in Vermont appearances for the 2019-2020 season are now available for booking.  Details can be found on my Retreat page or on Strong House Inn's website.  The dates and projects are:



Now for Clue #7 of my Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series!

Before I get started on today's clue, if you are just joining us for the Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series, you can get details on Fabric Requirements or details on the series in my early blog posts: start with Join Me for my Mystery Blog Post.   Then go to Clue #1 Blog Post,  Clue #2 Blog Post, Clue #3 Blog PostClue #4 Blog Post, Clue #5 Blog Postand then Clue #6 Blog Post.   

If you want to join the Mystery series, make sure you subscribe to my mailing list, to received my weekly newsletter announcing the clues:  Sign up for Mailing List

Also, if you want to join the SOTS Facebook group, please remember to answer the questions to admit you to the group.  I say this every week, but I feel I need to repeat it as I get about 70 request a week, that are automatically declined due to non-answers.  So please read and answer the questions.  Thank you💗

Another PSA, I have temporarily figured out my download limitation issue, but only until 10, so I will keep the early clues up there for another few weeks, but on week 10 I will need to bring down Clue #1 or the overview.  So, make sure you are downloading your clues!  And if you have friends that want to join in the fun, tell them to hop to it!

Okay, Clue #7!  Dual-Colored V Blocks

Yesterday, I couldn't help myself, I had to put up another tease on my Sew On the Go Facebook Page.  I used Bella, my youngest German Shepherd, she loves her bows, so I made her a bow using the fabrics we are using this week, plus one from last week, to keep you guessing!  She loves a good mystery and was excited to participate!
Bella ~ The Clue Keeper
Clue #7 - We will be using our Color 1: Light (L1), Color 3: Medium (M3) and Background (BG) to make Dual-Colored V Block units!  You will need the V Block tool for this week's clue.  If you do not have one, you can purchase it in my Etsy shop.

Clue #7 ~ Sunset on the Sound Mystery 
You will remember, we made V Blocks back in Clue #2, the technique is going to be the same, however, the side triangles are going to be two-toned and you will make mirror image sets.  This in one of the more time consuming clues, but it follows one of the easier clues, and I purposely scheduled this week's clue for a holiday weekend.  So, hopefully everyone will be able to keep up.

Here are a few tips for this week: 
  • You are going to perform most of the steps exactly how you did in Clue #2, however pay close attention to the instructions in the Download and my tips below, or you will find yourself unsewing. Nobody wants that.  😉
  • Steps 1-6, cutting the Center, you will perform the exact steps as you did for Clue #2 with exception that you will be using background fabric for the center. 
  • For steps 7-11, the Side Triangles, you will perform the same steps, but you will be cutting them from both the L1 and M3 fabrics.   
    Color 1: Light (L1)

    Color 3: Medium (M3)
  • Once you have all the Side Triangles cut from both fabrics, you are going to want to lay them out pairing L1 Left Side Triangle with M3 Right Side Triangle, and then pairing M3 left Side Triangle with L1 Right Side Triangle.  Remember quantity and sizes are in the Download.
L1/M3 and M3/L1 ~ Ready for Sewing
  • Remember to use your best pressing skills  ~ Set the seam, finger press and press.  A lot of bias here that could cause you trouble later if you don't take the best care of these.
Set the seam ~ Finger Press ~ Press
  • Next, make sure to lay them back out, and make sure you pair them with the other color.
L1/M3 and M3/L1 ~ Ready for 2nd side sewing
  • Remember to sew with the Center Triangle on top.  Best pressing skills after.
Set seam ~ Finger Press ~ Press
  • Trim exactly as you did in Clue #2, it may seem strange to dual-colored, but it the exactly the same. 
Right Handed ~ First Trim

Right Handed ~ Second Trim

Left Handed ~ First Trim

Left Handed ~ Second Trim
  • Tada!  Perfect Dual Colored V Block Units.  Make sure to label and keep in separate stacks.
Clue #7 Finished
Another week under our belts!  Doesn't it feel great!

Before I leave you, just a few notes on upcoming quilt shows, MAQ (Mid -Appalachian Quilters) have posted their Classes for this July.  
I will be teaching Oh-Hi-O My Star, a 3 day Sampler Classes, backed with over 40 techniques.  MAQ will be in Gettysburg, PA this year and I would love your support of taking my class!    Details can be found here:  MAQ Online


Also, I have 2 classes with spots at the American Quilt Society's Quilt Week in Lancaster, PA.  Calm Seas and Sparkle both have a few seats left!  Join me for some fun!  Details can be found here: AQS Lancaster Quilt Week.

One last announcement, if you are in the Vermont or New Hampshire area next weekend, I will be speaking at the Twin States Modern Quilt Guild.  Visitors can pay at the door! 


Hope you have a great weekend!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle



Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!