Time for Clue #2 - Dazzling Delight

 How did you make out last week?  Are you loving this fabric?  I know I am!  

For this week, we are going to expand our techniques building skills by adding Half Square Triangles and Flying Geese to our Square-in-Square technique of last week, with Dazzling Delight!

  • Speaking of fabric, we are going to have some fun with this Clue!  I went pretty much with a Triadic color plan for both my selections.  Consider something that you might like to fussy cut for your Light fabric, to make that center pop. 
My Bermuda Batik selection

My Paisley Rose selection
  • Take your time to cut, always using your best cutting skills will make your life a lot easier in the construction of the block. 
My Paisley Rose plates

My Bermuda Batik plates
  • Take your time and mark properly, having the right tools help. I know there are other fabric marking pencils out there, but I love the Sewline Pencils, they are chalk and they mark a fine line.  As I sew, the chalk leaves my fabric. 
Half Square Triangles - Nicely marked
  • Trim down to the proper size, make sure to use the proper side of the Tucker Trimmer. 

Right Handed

Left Handed

Right Handed

Left Handed
  • For your Flying Geese, make Take you time to properly place your small squares on the large square, ensuring you nudge equally. 
                                       
  • Take your time to trim.
Right Handers have the "valley" to the belly for the first line up and trim down.

Left Handers have the "valley" to the right for the first line up and trim down.

Right Handers make sure when you turn that unit around that the "mountain" hits the x.

Left Handers  make sure when you turn that unit around that the "sideways mountain" hits the x.


Perfect!
  • Square-in-Square, make sure cut that perfect center (see size in Clue)
Make sure to remember to sew with the Center Square on top.

  • For Block Construction, make sure to put it together as suggestion in Corner Units and Columns first.  
This will help you keep your orientation and allow for easier pressing
  • Once you have your Corner Units and Columns together, go ahead and lay out the block.  
My Bermuda Batik

My Paisley Rose 
  • Consider precision pinning, especially when you are putting your Rows together, matching those points.  I'd rather pin now than rip later. 
Use straight pin will help you line up everything

Then place the double pins around that straight pin so you can remove the straight pin
  • Highly recommend using a Seam Stick to press these row seams open.  The Seam Stick will give you a better, flatter seam.  As the wood will wick the steam and set that seam perfect.  

TADA!!!!  I just love this Block, simple, clean but it has so much movement, giving the illusion of a Churn Block on point within the block and then it has those cute Tulips in the corners. 
My Paisley Rose - Dazzling Delight

My Bermuda Batik  - Dazzling Delight

Well that wraps up my tips for Clue #2.  Have a great holiday weekend!  See you next week for Clue #3!

Keep Stitchin,

Michelle 

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!