Grand Central Clue #2!

Are you ready for Clue #2?  Thank you to all of you who have joined me on this great Mystery Series.  Last week we had 977 unique downloads!!!  I'm just blown away.  I promise you are going to love Grand Central!  If you are on Facebook, remember you can join the Grand Central Quilt Mystery Group.  You will need to answer the questions to be admitted. Join Here:  Grand Central Quilt Mystery Group

Before we get started on Clue #2, I wanted to give a shout out to my fabulous Cabin Fever Retreaters.  We are missing a couple in the photo, but we had a great time last weekend. So much progress was made on Starflower Surprise, Retreat, Majesty, Periwinkle, and some UFO- Moonlight Garden, Summer Star, Amusement!  Great times.
Registration for Cabin Fever 2021 is now open, you can get the details and registration forms on my Retreat page.  Note: We will be selecting projects in a couple of months.  The majority vote, of those registered at that time, will determine the projects.  


If you are interest in a couple of my more intimate retreats, I have two coming up at the Strong House Inn, in Vergennes, VT.   Wait to you see the Strong House Inn, they have made some great updates to the property and the food, just wow!

Both of my retreats there includes 3 nights lodging, all meals (fabulous), sewing instruction, sewing room, great times and fabulous fellow quilters.  

Quilter's Choice - February 6th-9thOnly a few spots left 
  • 4 days/3 nights, limited to 10 quilters, and is the only retreat I offer the Quitler to pick from anyone of my patterns.  Book at: Strong House Website
Here are a couple options, but you are not limited to these two, but they are great quilts to take on at a small retreat:
Periwinkle Swirl
Jenn's Journey
  

Early Spring - Moonlight Garden or Retreat Quilt - March 12th-15th





  • 4 days/3 nights, limited to 12 quilters.  Two fabulous projects, packed with techniques.  Have a blast while Mastering some great skills.  Book at: Strong House Website


    • Moonlight Garden
      Retreat
      I would love to have you join me at one of my many great retreats! You can see all of them on my Retreat Page: Michelle's Retreats

      GRAND CENTRAL MYSTERY QUILT SERIES

      Okay, ready for Clue #2?

      A few housekeeping items for those that just hopped aboard.  Here is what you need to know:
      • Each week I announce my Clues in my newsletter, so make sure you are subscribing to my newsletter (https://sewonthego.net/newsletters) and add my email to your contact list so it doesn't end up in your spam or junk file.
      • A link in the newsletter will take you here to my Blog, where I will give pictorials, each week, especially if there is a new technique, plus tips and tricks.
      • In the overview/pictorial in this Blog, you will see tips, however the exact measurements, cuts, etc will be in the download.  You will need to look for the word "download" in the Clue's narrative. 
      • So, after you read all my great tips (please read it will really help you), click on the word "download" in the Clue's narrative, it will take you to my Retreat page on my website, page down to the Grand Central Mystery Quilt Section, and click on the Download for this week.
        • Note:  You can also find the fabric requirements there.  Page back through the last few weeks Blog post to get help on picking out your fabric.
      • If you missed a Clue, there are available for a nominal fee, for a limited time only at: Purchase Previous Clues

      Clue #2 - Only available to Thursday, January 30th. 

      Below, I've provide a pictorial for today's Clue.  Plus tons of great sewing tips.  You will be making Diamond Wedges and cutting Half Square Triangles.  We will use the Wedge Star Ruler to make the Diamond Wedges.  Plus, if you have the Tucker Trimmer II it will come in handy in cutting the Half Square Triangles.


      Clue #2
      Okay, remember the details are in the Download, but make sure to read through my pictorial below, I promise there are a lot of great tips. 

      You are going to start with cutting your Diamond Wedges and Small Wedges with the Studio 180 Wedge Star.

      Cutting your Diamonds -  Make sure to open your Strips and press flat.  If you didn't apply Best Press (or other starch agent) prior to cutting your strips, now would be a good time to do so.  Cut the strip a single layer at a time.

      If you are right handed you are going to want to start at the left side of your strip.  Use your Wedge Star to create the angle.



      Place a long ruler next to the Wedge Star.

       Pull the Wedge Star ruler away... 

       And cut.


      Next, you are going to use your long ruler, to make the cuts at the proper width (in download) making sure to keep your angle.  If your angle gets wonky, go back and set your angle again using the Wedge Star.


      Tada! Repeat until you have the number needed.

      If you are left handed you are going to want to start at the right side of your strip.  Use your Wedge Star to create the angle.

       Place a long ruler next to the Wedge Star.

        Pull the Wedge Star ruler away... 

       And cut.

      Tada.


      Next, you are going to use your long ruler, to make the cuts at the proper width (in download) making sure to keep your angle.  If your angle gets wonky, go back and set your angle again using the Wedge Star.

      Repeat until you have the number needed.


       Tada.

      Cutting the Small Wedges - This is very similar to last week's cut, you are going to be careful to line up the top of the strip with the little line on the tip of the Wedge Star, and the width of the strip measurement should hit the bottom. 

      Right handers will start at the left side of the strip.

      Line up the marks mentioned above

       And cut.
       Rotate the Wedge Star Ruler and line up.
       And cut.  Repeat until you have the proper amount.


      Left handers will start at the right side of the strip.

      Line up the marks mentioned above
        And cut.
        Rotate the Wedge Star Ruler and line up.
       And cut.  Repeat until you have the proper amount.
       Tada!  You are ready for sewing.

      Piecing the Diamond Wedges

      I like to lay out my blocks as they will look when they are finished.  I find this help me keep my orientation.    So lay it out to "SEE IT"


       Tip: I like to take the right Small Wedges and move them out of the way, so I just focus on the two pieces I'm working on.
       I then flip the Diamond to the left, on top of the Small Wedge, right sides together.  "FLIP IT"
       Line up the Diamond with the Small Wedge.
       Then sew with your best quarter inch (really important).  " SEW IT"

       I like to chain piece these together.
       Pressing - Please be careful.  You do not want to distort the Diamonds.  
       You want to set the seam. 
       Finger Press.
       Press.
       Tada!  Yes this is how it should look.
       Next, trim the dog ears.
      Right Handed
       I do this will at long ruler.  Be careful not to cut the Diamond.

      Left Handed
       Tada!
       Now, I lay my just trimmed unit back on my paper plate, check my orientation. 
       Next, I rotate my plate, so that I can   "SEE IT"
       "FLIP IT"
      Line it up.  
       "SEW IT"
      Now, it's time to press again.
       "SET THE SEAM"
       "FINGER PRESS"
       "PRESS IT"
       TADA!
      Now it is time to trim it to it's perfect size.   Follow the directions in the Download, making sure to line up your seam line with the proper size. 

      Right Handed - Have the Diamond pointing in the 2 o'clock position for line up and trimming.
       Cut.
      Left Handed - Have the Diamond pointing in the 10 o'clock position for line up and trimming.
       Cut. 
       Tada!

      I love these Diamond Wedges!   We are going to leave them as is, label and set aside.

      Make sure to try out your Tucker Trimmer II for sub cutting the Half Square Triangles.  Label and set aside.

      Thanks all folks!  I hope you are enjoying this journey as much as I am. 

      If you are in CT, or nearby, I will be at The Yankee Quilter on Sunday, at 10:30am, for their Preview Day.  I will be talking about my next pattern release/class; Birds on a Wire and my next Sleep in Your Bed Retreat, featuring Majesty Lemoyne, Retreat Quilt, or an UFO.  Make sure to sign up as soon as they go up on the web.  😊

      Have a great weekend, don't forget to post your finished clues in the Grand Central Quilt Mystery GroupWhile you are on Facebook, make sure to LIKE my Facebook Page, I'm trying to get to 1500 Likes. 

      Keep stitching,
      Michelle

      Comments

      Popular Posts

      A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

      Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

      Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

      Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

      Diamond Delight is twice the delight!