Block 41 ~ Baton Rouge Block

Block 41 is Baton Rouge Block in my Timeless with a Twist Series! It was published in Ladies Art Company in 1922. 
Block 41 ~ Baton Rouge Block ~ Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
This block is made up of Diamond Rectangles and Shaded four-patch units.   The Diamond Rects are made with dual-colored side triangles.  The block was also published as just "Baton Rouge", in 1934, by Nancy Page, in the Birmingham News.  However, this is not the Baton Rouge Square, that is a different block.  This block, the Baton Rouge Block, is a perfect block to use a large-scale print in the large center square.

With its clean lines, this block would make a great alternate block, as it creates a fabulous secondary design, without stealing the staging from a main block.  Classic, elegant and timeless, just like its namesake the city of Baton Rouge.

This week, I went with a split-complementary plan for both of my fabric selections. 

For my first fabric selection, I selected that fabulous light-blue red (18) floral fabric for my center.  Given the size of that center unit, I knew I needed to go with something substantial.  Pulling colors from that center, which turned out to be a split-complementary plan, I selected that Fuchsia (16), Orange (21) and across the color wheel to the Spring Green (4).  Love it!

Michelle's Fabric Selection 1

Then, for my second fabric selection, I started again with the center, pulling that light print.  Which again, used a split-complementary color plan.  Turquoise (9), Red (15) and Orange (20). 

Michelle's Fabric Selection 2
The block comes together easily with the Diamond Rects and Tucker Trimmer.  The Diamond Rects are made with dual-colored side triangles.  Similar to last week, you are going to need to be careful when you lay out your side triangles.   You will want to make sure you pay close attention to the download for cutting the side triangles, as well as laying them out and then keeping them straight when you sew them.
Dual-Colored Side Triangles - Diamond Rects
If you need a refresher on Diamond Rects, check out my blog post on Block 38.   

This block also features Shaded four-patch units in the corners.  It has been a bit since we've made them, so if you need a refresher, check out my blog post on Block 4.

I can't believe we are getting close to wrapping up this series.  I will still be spending a good amount of time on it, as we work through the book creation process.  I will keep you posted on the details.

Since Timeless with a Twist is finishing up, I will be offering a Mystery Quilt series, it is called Sunset on the Sound! It will run from January to April.  I announced it in last week's blog post.  Here are a few details, you can find more details on last week's post, as well as the download (at the bottom of the webpage).  If you plan in joining in on the fun, you should join the Facebook group.  I can't wait to see everyone's fabric selection, I'm hoping they will share.

Sunset on the Sound ~ Mystery Series ~ Starting in January 2019


You can download the details including the Fabric Requirements:  download

Three Quilt Sizes available: Wall/Baby 54” x 54”, Throw 58” x 82”, and Queen 82” x 106”

Tools Needed:
·        Corner Beam,
·        V Block,
·        Tucker Trimmer 1,
·        Split Rects,
·        (Newer) Square²  (Or Large Square Squared)
·        Quilter’s Magic Wand
·        3-in-1 Color Tool

Series: This is a Mystery Quilt series and is for followers of my newsletter and blog.  Here's how the mystery quilt works. The fabric requirements and cutting instructions are provide below.  I’m giving you several weeks to dig through your stash or go shopping. 

Need to subscribe to my newsletter: Do it here (Sign up for email newsletter)

The Clues, providing construction steps, will be posted on weekly on Friday or Saturdays for 16 weeks, from January 4th or 5th through April 26th or 27th.   Announced through my weekly newsletter or blog.
  •        I will do my best to post every Friday, but sometimes life happens, so I want to state up front, there could be a travel week, illness or a family emergency.  Life happens.  So, I will strive for Friday and plan on posting on Friday 99.9% of the time.  
  •     If you count those weeks up, you will note that is 17 weeks and I only stated 16 weeks.  That is because there will be a "bye" week.   That "bye" week is to be determined.    
The clues, will provided the construction task for the week, with step-by-step instructions.  You will be responsible to view or download/print your clue each week.  Each week, you will see more and more of the units -- just enough to keep you guessing!  On the last week, we will give you the final construction steps and the mystery will be revealed.

Recommended Color Plan:  Triadic Color Plan with an Accent

Michelle’ Fabric Choice for Sunset on the Sound

·        My version is made with a Triadic color plan, which is beautifully displayed in my Border fabric.    The recommended colors are; Cerulean Blue (10), Blue Red (18), and Chartreuse (2), and an accent fabric Orange-Yellow (23)  The numbers following the color names above are from my favorite tool, the 3-in-1 Color Tool
   
      If you would like more details, be sure to check out the download or last week's post.

      I think that is it for this week,  hopefully this early fall snow will melt.  I'm teaching In Flight tomorrow, at the Yankee Quilter, in Seymour, CT.   I can't wait, it has been a few months since I've been there.    This is a great quilt, the pattern offers from a Baby size to a King Size.  Great stash buster!
In Flight

I     Enjoy your weekend, be sure to share your blocks on the Facebook Group and check out the Mystery details!

      Keep stitching,
      Michelle


Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!