It's time to visit Cocalico!

 Clue #2 is Cocalico Star, in tribute to those who retreated with my at Cocalico Inn. 

This is a fabulous block with a mirror image star inside of what may become a star... you will have to wait and see!  We are introducing the Wing Clipper to the series, which will have us making perfect Flying Geese!


Both of my Fabric Selections - Moda's Cheer and Merriment and Stitched

The Cocalico Inn was the second location that I held a formal retreat, in Lancaster County, PA. I held it there for 5+ years, and we had some great times. It’s another special place where quilt friendships were built sewing, sitting on the front porch or the back patio.  

2017 Fun with Fundamentals at Cocalico Inn 

Fabric Selection - You need four fabrics in addition to your Background.  It is important to review your fabric and select fabric that will work well, especially in the mirror image Star.  The Light, is a perfect spot to elect a fabric that is close in tone to your Background with some elements/small accents. 

My Cheer and Merriment selection

My Stitched selection

Make sure to review the Clue for how best to approach cutting your fabric.  Also, make sure you have performed all your pre-work (prior to Clue #1) before you make any of your cuts.  Definitely consider increasing the size of the small Squares of the Unit A - the Large Flying Geese.  It will help you as you will not need to nudge during construction. 

My Cheer and Merriment selection

My Stitched selection
 
Tips for Large Flying Geese

My recommendation is to increase those small squares and they you will not need to nudge.  Make sure to draw your best lines and set the squares up so that the drawn line are straight across the large square, like a railroad track.
Both my versions
For the next step, make sure you sew them from the point first as your machine may not like the other side going in first. 
Make sure to take your time to trim them down properly. 

Tips for the Flying Geese

Pretty much the same tips.  I did not oversize my small squares for this size, so I did nudge.  So, if you are nudging, make sure to keep your small squares straight by taking the time to line up those drawn lines.
My Cheer and Merriment version Units B & C

My Stitched version Units B & C
Again, make sure that you are taking the time to line up when you place the small square onto the cut and pressed units.


Take the time to sew, cut, and press properly.  Pressing will make a big difference in your Flying Geese.  It is easy to stretch your fabrics, so press carefully. 

Unit D and E are Half Square Triangle. 


Block Construction Tips

Take your time to make sure you double check your orientation.  This Star Center comes together easily.  Try and sew with your Flying Geese on top. Make sure to  follow the pressing instructions.  

Then, attached your Large Flying Geese and your Large Background Squares!

How Tada!  
My Cheer & Merriment - Cocalico Star

My Stitched -  Cocalico Star
That is it for this week!  Happy Labor Day weekend.  Have a great weekend!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle 

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!