Holiday Solstice -Clue #8 - Another Challenge but you got this!

So sorry for the delay.  If you aren't in the Holiday Solstice Facebook group, you probably aren't aware that I'm dealing with a sick pup at home.  So I apologize.  But better late than never.  If there is anything I've learned during these times is to focus on what really matters.  So, I know most of you don't mind the delay and apologies to those that do for being 24 hours late on this Clue.  Life takes over at times. 

Special announcement on Tuesday 

Make sure to tune in Tuesday to this blog, as well as my Tutorial Tuesday, as I will have an announcement.  

Holiday Solstice -Clue #8 - Another challenge but you got this!  
This is a beautiful block.  We are going to be making (4) Stings the Toes Blocks.    You will need the Split Rects, Tucker Trimmer I and Quilter's Magic Wand


I love this block, it uses one of my favorite units.   I unofficially call it the Rangeley Combo block.  I used it in my Dogwood Lane Quilt Pattern.  You will use the Tucker Trimmer to make this unit. 

Dogwood Lane 


I know the unit from Deb Turners pattern Rangeley Runner, which she developed while up at my friend Dan and Carol's Quilt Shop, Threads Galore, in Rangeley Maine.  Which is where we host our Fall Quilt Camp, originally found by Dan and Carol.  They since have retired, but we all love going to Rangeley so much, that Lynn Wheatley and I have taken over organizing it.    Here is a version of my Rangeley Runner
My version of  the S180 Rangeley Runner 

So, you are going to love this unit.  I will take you through some tips below on the Rangeley Combo and putting the block together.  

I will provide a brief tutorial below, but the details are in the download. 

Block 8 - Stings the Nose

Color Selections

Christmas Fig II
I choose solids for for my Rangeley Combo units because of their size. I wanted to make sure they would be noticeable and that you would see the shape.   I elected a beautiful print on the same background as my background for the center, as this was a great place to use the lighter print.  Plus, it allows the Rangeley Combo Units to "sing".

Christmas Fig II

Sun Prints 2020

For these went with pairing the complimentary pairs, which allows the colors to pop off one another.  
Sun Prints 2020

Tips of making the Rangeley Combo Units

Take the time to cut properly.  You will have (4) Background and (4) of the Fabric you choose for the Pop of color in the Rangeley Combo
You pair them with the (8) Starpoints fabric 


Make sure to take your time when drawing your lines with your Quilter's Magic Wand

Make sure to see a foot, that you can see where the needle hits the line.

Sew on both lines.

Take your time to cut down the center.
Set your seam


Finger press them all toward your Starpoint fabric. It is very important to finger press, so you do not distorted the seam by pushing it with a hot iron. 

Then press.

You will have two sets of Half Square Triangles.  Do not trim with the Tucker Trimmer yet.  Take one set and mark the back with 2 lines going in the opposite direction.

Nest the seams.

Check to make sure your Starpoint fabric is opposite each other.

Stitch on the lines, making sure to keep the units nested.

Cut down the center.

Again, set the seam.

Now you can swirl the seams by pushing the Starpoint fabric toward the Background and your Dark.

This will create a little four-patch on the back.

Give a good press from the front.

Give all of the units a nice mist of Best Press and press. 

Trim-down

Right Handed
Take time to line up the common diagonally and the proper size line.  

Trim carefully

Rotate and line up again, ensuring the just cut edges are lined up with the proper size. 

Tada!

Left Handed
Take time to line up the common diagonally and the proper size line.  

Trim carefully

Rotate and line up again, ensuring the just cut edges are lined up with the proper size. 

Tada

Now to make it the Rangeley Combo

Right Handed
Place the Dark fabric on the right and take your Tucker Trimmer and line up with the top of the tool and left side with the proper size line.  Leaving a 1/2" exposed.

Trim!
Left Handed
Place the Dark fabric on the left and take your Tucker Trimmer and line up with the top of the tool and right side with the proper size line.  Leaving a 1/2" exposed.

Trim!

Isn't that cool?  I love it.  

Tips for putting the Block together

Most important tip - Check your quarter inch seam!  It is super important!

Lay out your block and triple check the layout 


Sew the other components together first, this will help you keep your orientation. 
Take your time!

You are all doing so great.  I hope you are enjoying this, you are building great skills.  A challenge is good once in a while, right!

Already that is it for today.  Make sure to tune in Tuesday for my big announcement.  

Keep stitching,
Michelle 

Comments

  1. Love the Rangely runner. Thanks for keeping up with this mystery when you have so much going on. We do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!