Block 34 & Quilters on the Lake 2018!

Block 34 is Emerald Square, credited to Nancy Cabot in Chicago Tribune, April 22, 1936. 
Block 34 ~ Emerald Square ~ Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
Nancy Cabot is quoted as saying “Emerald Block is pieced pattern designed to illustrate in a quilt form the beauty of that precious stone for which it was named.  Varying the shade of green are used for the several hues of the spectrum found when the light strikes the stone.”  So, even though this was printed in a black and white paper, she was certain to let her followers know that the block should be green.  A simple but elegant block.



I worked on this week's block while at my Quilters on the Retreat 2018 at the Woodbound Inn, in Ridge, NH.  What a blast.  You must check out their progress!  I posted pictures below and on my Facebook page: Sew On the Go Facebook. You will not believe what this  fabulous group of quilters were able to complete in 4 1/2 days!

Let me talk about this week's block first, both my fabric selections this week are split-complementary color plans.   Starting with that fabulous Yellow-Green (3) paisley, moving one tab over to the Chartreuse (2) for my medium, and then across the color wheel to light from the Red (19) tab.  I love how it turned out!
Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
For my second fabric selection, I pulled my dark from an Alison Glass Spring Green (4).  This time, I moved over 2 tabs to the Chartreuse (2), and then across the color wheel to the Fuchsia (16) - which was actually a dark vs the light as the pattern called for, I thought that would give you a sense of what it would look like with a dark instead of a light in the four-patch units.

Michelle's Fabric Selection 2

Block 34 ~ Emerald Square ~ Michelle's Fabric Selection 2
A simple block can be beautiful!  This week's block comes together easily with the Split Rects and the Four Patch Square Up.    If you need a refresher on Split Rects, be sure to check out the pictorial lesson provided on Block 31 Sew On The Go Blog Post and if you need a refresher on using the NEW Four Patch Square Up (optional), check out Block 8’s Sew On the Go Blog post.

I was so honored to have these wonderful quilters join me this past week at Quilters on the Lake Retreat 2018.  We laughed so hard!  It was a blast!
Quilters on the Lake 2018

Check out this progress!  























Wow! Right!  A fabulous 5 days!  Today we are packing up to head home.  Make sure you check out my Retreat page for details on next year's Quilters on the Lake 2019 and for this week's download.

I have to get ready for the retreat breakdown.  Thanks to all the fabulous quilters that join me this week and special thanks to my good friend and fellow Certified Instructor Lynn Wheatley for helping me this week! I couldn't have done it without you!


Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!