Sunset on the Sound ~ Clue #9 ~ Sneak Peak of Periwinkle Swirl

March is here!  Week #9 of the Mystery is here!  We are revealing Clue #9!  What could be better?

Okay, I may have a bit of Cabin Fever going on, but I'm always excited when we get to March, I know that Spring is around the corner, despite looking out to a snow covered lawn.

Last weekend,  I completed the the Double size quilt top for the cover of Periwinkle Swirl.  Originally, I was going with a smaller size for the cover, but I love circular motion in the quilt, and I felt the Double Size could really show off the movement.  Now to quilt it, photograph and get the pattern to the printer in the next 2 weeks.  Along with Moonlight Garden! 

Here is a sneak peak of Periwinkle Swirl!  Stephen's wingspan is only so wide, but I think you can see what I'm talking about.  I love this pattern.  I know all my testers loved it as well.
Coming Soon ~ Periwinkle Swirl 
I will be teaching Periwinkle Swirl at numerous retreats throughout the next year, so be sure to check out my Retreats at Michelle's Retreats.  Additionally, I will be teaching it at the Vermont Quilt Festival, and possibly another Quilt Show this summer.  😁

Speaking of Vermont Quilt Festival (VQF), they announced their classes this past week.  I will be teaching Periwinkle Swirl, Moonlight Garden, Be Dazzled, and Summer Star.  You can check out all the details here: VQF Classes

Now for Clue #9 of my Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series!  Can you say Assembly!

Before I get started on today's clue, if you are just joining us for the Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series, you can get details on Fabric Requirements or details on the series in my early blog posts: start with Join Me for my Mystery Blog Post Then, work your way through the Clues, they are in date order.

If you want to join the Mystery series, make sure you subscribe to my mailing list, to received my weekly newsletter announcing the clues:  Sign up for Mailing List

Also, if you want to join the SOTS Facebook group, please remember to answer the questions to admit you to the group.  Also, make sure you are downloading your clues!  And if you have friends that want to join in the fun, tell them to hop to it, this is the last week that Clue #1 will on the website.

I have one other PSA on the SOTS Facebook group:  Over the next few weeks, as Clues get revealed, some of you may have an idea on how the quilt may come together.  Please keep that to yourself, as some of the members have gotten worried when they see "guess" blocks being posted.  This has caused a flurry of emails being sent to me, with people thinking that they have missed a clue or email.  So, just be careful, please.  Thank you. 💗

Okay, Clue #9!

We will be using some  of the D1/L1 HST (Half Square Triangles) units from Clue #3 and the L1/M3 V Block units from Clue #7 to create HST/L1/M3 V Block Units.
Sunset on the Sound ~ Clue #9
In the Download, I have included a Clue/Unit recap, that I highly recommend that you compare this summary to your units, to ensure you have them labeled properly.  Plus, refer to the unit summary when selecting your units over the next 8 Clues.

Reminders and Tips:
  • Be careful when pulling your Dual Colored V Block units, you have 2 different sets in Clue #7.  Double check that you have pulled the one with Color 1: Light (L1) as the Left Side Triangle and Color 3: Medium (M3) as the Right Side Triangle.  We will not be using it’s mirror image in this clue.
Make sure you double check your orientation of both units before sewing
  • We will not use all the D1/L1 HST (Half Square Triangles) in this Clue, you will have leftover, and you need to keep them in a safe place.  I suggest on your Clue #3 paper plate, so that when I refer to it, in a later step, you know where to find them. 
  • Next, when you go to sew this units together, I always See It, to ensure the orientation is correct, Flip It, and Sew It.   This helps me keep my units properly set up and ensures I sew the proper side.  Also, I like to sew with the V Block unit on top.
Flip It
  • As always (I know many of you call me the Pressing Task Master 😂) press properly; setting the seam, allowing the thread to drop into the fabric, locking your seam in and giving you a nice flat seam.  Finger Press.  Then Press.  Please do not use that hot iron to push that seam over.
Set that seam!
  • You will note, that Color 1: Light from both units will meet 1/4" from the edge of the unit.  This is perfect!  This is not a mistake; this will give you a perfect 1/4 seam when you sew it into the block, border, quilt (remember Mystery).
Perfect!
Very manageable!  Right!  Love these Studio 180 Design tools!  They work, perfect units! Nothing beats it!  

Well, I think that is it for today.  Be careful, use the correct units and I can't wait to see some of your units coming together.  Don't forget to share on the SOTS Facebook group


Last weekend, the Twin States Modern Quilt Guild  did postpone the Lecture due to weather.  Please stay tuned for a new date.  


Have a wonderful weekend!  Hopefully, this snow will end here in CT soon.  I have big sewing and quilting plans, so I don't care too much, but my pups are sick of it!  I hope wherever you are it is beginning to feel like spring!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!