Block 19 ~ Four Patch

This week's block is Four Patch, but probably not what you are expecting. :)

The Four Patch, credited to Laura Wheeler, I found in an unidentified newspaper clipping, and unfortunately without a date.  This block pairs mirror images to create a delightful design.  I think if I were to name this block, I think I would call it Dahlia.  It reminds me so much of the Dahlias in my garden in late summer.


Block 19 ~ Four Patch ~ Fabric Selection 1


In researching, I found out that a New York company used the name Laura Wheeler, to publish quilt patterns.  This block was more than likely published in the 1930s.  It is one of those blocks that I think is just as relevant today as it was when it was designed.  Timeless!  Isn't that what this is all about!
Block 19 ~ Four Patch ~ Fabric Selection 2
This week, for both versions, I went with a Split Complementary color plan.   My first fabric selection may look familiar, I used these exact fabrics in my block 1!  I thought it was time to get them all back together again.  Remember, I started with the Orange-Red (20), pairing it with the Blue-Green (6) and then the light in the white with Yellow-Green dots (3).
Michelle's Fabric Selection 1

For fabric selection 2, I wanted to use some fabrics, from my fat quarter bundle that I hadn't used yet, so I went with  the Light and Dark from the Magenta (17) and then Aqua Green (7)/Yellow Green (3) dots!

This block should be simple, right!   You will need your Studio 180 Design's Corner Beam and Tucker Trimmer 1 again!  In previous blocks, I've had you make all the units in this block; Corner Beam, Quarter Square Triangle (3-toned) and Half Square Triangles.   However, the mirror images make it a bit challenging.  You have 2 sets of Corner Beams that are reversed.  Then, you have 2 sets of 3-toned Quarter Square Triangle units that you have to keep ORGANIZED.

I can not stress that enough.  Take your time, stay organized, and check the layout twice (even 3 times)!  Use your camera to take a photo before you put your units together, look at that photo, then sew.  Once you sew the rows together, take another photo before you put the rows together as a block.
Stay Organized and check your layout!
That's my advice for this week.   Make sure to download Block 19 ~ Four Patch before Thursday, June 7th.   I hope you enjoy this block as much as I do!  Have fun!

Off to NJ to see my niece's dance recital - Can't wait!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!