Block 6- Eight Hands Around

This has been a crazy couple of weeks; I had the flu 2 weeks ago, followed by two back-to-back retreats.  Therefore I didn't get as many block samples completed as I would like, but I think you will get the idea from my two selections below.   I hope to have a few more completed this weekend and will share on the weekend.  Be sure to follow my Sew On the Go Facebook Page to keep up on mid-week posts!


Block 6 - Eight Hands Around
Block 6!  Can you believe we are an eighth of the way through the 48 Blocks?  Eight Hands Around, first appeared in the Ladies Art Company’s catalog in 1897.   In that same year, also appearing in the Ladies Art Company, but without the half square triangles in the corners, it was also published as Stars and Squares.  Through research, I discovered that it is believed this quilt block derived from Square Dancing.  

I personally remember my grandmother placing this block in her comfort quilts, stating that an Eight Hands Around Quilt would help those lying beneath it manage, cope and survive.  

In 1929, the Stars and Square’s version (without the half square triangles) appeared in unknown paper clip, as the Rising Star, most likely renamed to promote hope during the Great Depression.   Later, in 1949, Ickis referred to Eight Hands Around block as Eight Hands Round block. 

Since we've had some many people sign up in the last few weeks, I thought maybe I should cover some color tips again. 

For my first fabric selection this week, I went with a straight split complementary color plan.  Electing this fabulous pink floral, leftover from my upcoming Bloom quilt, which registered on the Magenta 5 color tab.  I then selected my dark from that same tab for the center.  For the medium I went to the Green tab 5.   I love the pop the block ended up with!  
Block 6- Michelle's Fabric Selection 1

For my second color selection this week, I went with an Analogous color plan.  Going with color tabs Orange-Red tab 20, Orange tab 21, and Yellow-Orange 22.  Electing a light from one tab, medium from another and then dark from last one.  I'm really pushing myself with this selection.  I never really go with a pure Analogous plan, but I like it.  That is what some of this is about, pushing ourselves to try new things.
Block 6 - Michelle's Fabric Selection 2
Remember the numbers I'm pointing out are from a color wheel, which I never quilt without!  You can purchase one in my Etsy shop: Sew On the Go - Color Tools

This week's block is fairly easy, look out next week! :)  This week we are using the Wing Clipper and Tucker Trimmer again!

Tips and Tricks for this week...  not too many as we are repeating two techniques that you have learned over the last few weeks.  Eight Hands Around does call for two sets of Flying Geese.  Therefore, you are going to be working with a large set of Flying Geese and a small set of Flying Geese.  Be careful with your cutting of the large square for the large Flying Geese, especially if you only have scraps or a Fat Quarter.  Ask me how I know - don't go using a new-to-you ruler.  :)

Also, for those large Flying Geese, consider cutting those small squares 1/8" larger, which allows you not to have to nudge, which will help you keep your squares straight.   When those Flying Geese get over 2" x 4", having a little extra fabric helps.   

For those small Flying Geese, be careful, as you will want to put the center together first.  Then place the center in the middle row and sew those rows together.  
Put the center together first

I did elect to press my seams open when put the rows together and then sewing them into a block.  I gave you a choice in the download, as I know some of you like to nest.  I do too, but I hate bulk!   Remember, the pressing sticks can really help with pressing open and getting a nice flat block.

So, is your design wall starting to look like mine?  I'm so excited, I love seeing the completed blocks being posted in our Facebook group.  Make sure to join if you haven't already. 
Michelle's Design Wall - Several versions
Hopefully these blog post are helping you with your color selection, mojo, and piecing.  I'd love to hear more from you here on the blog or in the Facebook group.

Okay, so I think that is it for this week!

Go get your download!  Click Here



Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!