Stop 11 on Grand Central Mystery Quilt Series, Next Stop Grand Central!

Stop 11 on Grand Central Mystery Quilt Series! Next Stop Grand Central!  Can you believe we are a week away from the reveal?  I've been secret sewing away!  Whew, I just love this Mystery Quilt and I think you will too!

This week we will put together the Celestial Star Blocks!  Has anyone started to tie these Blocks to the overview on Grand Central Terminal that I covered in November-December? Do you see the symbolism? 


Next Mystery
I've been getting a lot of questions about the next Mystery.  My next Mystery will start in May.  I'm still trying to figure out when I can kick it off.  I wasn't going to kick it off until the end of the May, but with Quilt Market cancelled, I'm trying to see if I can move it up a few weeks, hopefully Mid-May.  

I will have more information in the two weeks about it.... Here is what I know. 

  • It will be handled very similar to last year's Spring-Summer Medallion Mystery, Holiday Extravaganza.  
    • It will be a Medallion Quilt
    • It will be great in Holiday Fabric, or not
    • It will use Fat Quarters
    • It will run 16-18 weeks
Speaking of Holiday Extravaganza, for those of you that missed it.  It will be available in June, as a Booklet.  You will be able to purchase it, as well as Shops could offer it as a Technique of the week/month series, a Block of the Month, etc.   Stay tuned.  


If you are looking for something to do right away, consider my Tutorial Tuesday series!



Did you catch this week's Tutorial Tuesday video?  I covered preparing your fabric, different rulers and tools available to improve your cutting and cutting your V Block and Square Squared units.   Sorry for the delay in posting this past week.  We lost our internet on Tuesday and with the stay in place order, I couldn't go somewhere else to load it.  Thank you for your patience. 

In case you missed this past Tuesday's Tutorial Tuesday Video, you can view it on my Facebook page.  

Don't worry, if you don't Facebook, I've uploaded my video, in two parts to YouTubePart 1 and Part 2 where you too can watch!   You can subscribe at: Michelle's You Tube Channel.

What is Tutorial Tuesday? 
It is a weekly Video that I will release each Tuesday, around 3:30pm, on my Facebook page (5:30 pm on Youtube).  For the first 8 weeks, I'm going to teach a free class on my Bloom pattern. 

You will need the Bloom pattern, S180 V Block and Square Squared Tools.
Bloom

Overview of the next 8 weeks on Tutorial Tuesdays:
1. Last week on Tuesday, I covered selecting the fabric for my Bloom pattern.  Showing 6 different options you may want to consider.  Plus, ways to use Stash and argument with a few purchases.
2. This past Tuesday, I will covered preparing your fabric and mastering your cutting skills.  Taking you through cutting your strips and squares, along with sub cutting for your V Block and Square Squared units.... how to create your paper plates.  
3. Next week; Making your V Block Units
4. Week 4; Making your Square Squared Units for V Star Blocks
5. Week 5; Making your Square Squared Units for the Five Diamond Blocks
6. Week 6; Constructing your V Star Blocks
7. Week 7; Constructing your Five Diamond Blocks
8. Week 8; Laying out and assembling your Quilt Center and Pieced Border

This should take us to mid-May.  

I'm offering this free, with the exception of the pattern and tools, to see if I like the online class concept.  We all have to adjust in these times.

Some of the products featured this week:

Misters - When filled with Best Press, they provide a nice even spray:

Project Pipeline Worksheets - Organize Your Sewing Projects by listed them in one place, the status and a lot of other key details.
Project Pipeline Worksheet - Blurred on purpose


Quilt Project Worksheets- Organize all your key information for a given quilt, think of it as a Quilt Cover Sheet.  It helps you keep track of the; Project, Target Date, Priority, and the status of each project through completion.   Plus it provides a Swatch section to keep track of your fabrics and placement.  I used this for everyone of my projects. 
Quilt Project Worksheet- Blurred on purpose

I hope you are enjoying this event.  I'm getting more comfortable with the camera and learning a lot.  I hope you are too.  If you are participating, share your Bloom fabric selections in the Sew on the Go Quilting Circle.

  
Okay, Grand Central!

Woo hoo!  We are making a Block, the Celestial Star Block.   You will need your Studio 180 Wedge Star and Tucker Trimmer III for this clue. 

Make sure to check out the tips I have below in the pictorial.  Remember, the pictorial will cover the technique and extra tips, but the details will be in the download

Are you ready?  Clue #11 will only be up through April 9th.

You will need your Diamond Wedge pairs from Clue #7 and you are going to used up all those Scraps from your Assorted Brights. 


You will be sewing the Diamond Wedge pairs into Halves.   So See IT.
See It
 Next you are going to Flip It and Pin It.  Notice how I have the pin back over a quarter inch, so you do not need to remove it when sewing.  It will help keep those units together, without slipping.   Consider starting with a leader.  It is very important to use your best quarter inch seam.
Flip IT, Pin IT, and Sew IT.
I love the long Quilter's Fine Pins, they work great. 

Next, you will set your seam.

Then, press open it over the Seam StickThis is very important.  The Seam Stick will flatten those seams, and you will have a lot of seams coming together.  


BACK IN STOCK - 16" and 24" Seam Sticks - Get them while you can, they will not last. 

Then, give it a good press from the front. 

You should have a the points meeting a quarter inch below the end of the fabric.
Next, we will put the two halves together. 

 You will want to pin the matching points.   I do this by placing my pin through the back of the one half, where the points meet.  Then taking my long quilter's pins, I put the pin through the front of the bottom half unit;'s point.
 With the long quilter's pin being held straight, I come in and place two pins on the side of the straight pin. 
 Once I have them in, I remove the long quilter's pin
 Then stitch the length with your best quarter inch. 
 Set your seam
Then, press open it over the Seam Stick.  This is very important.  The Seam Stick will flatten those seams, and you will have a lot of seams coming together.  
 Now would be a great time to give a good press with a Mister and Best Press.
 Next, we are going to trim the edges of the Diamond Wedges only.  You want to take your time lining this up.  Many rush this step and end up with off kilter units when they match them to others.  You will line up the point with the top line and the Outside Edge Trim Point, plus... 
Make sure the Center line goes through the full length of the block and the point on the opposite side lines up with that center line too. 
Now we are going to place our Assorted Brights on the corners of the Diamond Wedges.   Center them under your Diamond Wedges.  Sew with your best quarter inch. 
Press away from the Diamond Wedge, toward the Corner Triangles.  Repeat for all four corners. 

Now it is time to trim. Take the Tucker Trimmer III tool, and align the common diagonal and proper size diagonal line with the diagonal Diamonds. Make sure that the lines intersect over the center. Trim two sides.

RIGHT HANDED
Take the Tucker Trimmer III tool, and align the common diagonal and proper size diagonal line with the diagonal Diamonds. Make sure that the lines intersect over the center. Trim two sides.

Rotate the block 180° and line up the diagonal lines with your Diamonds and align the proper size line with the just trimmed edges. Trim the final two sides.
 Tada!
 LEFT HANDED
Take the Tucker Trimmer III tool, and align the common diagonal and proper size diagonal line with the diagonal Diamonds. Make sure that the lines intersect over the center. Trim two sides.

Rotate the block 180° and line up the diagonal lines with your Diamonds and align the proper size line with the just trimmed edges. Trim the final two sides.
 Tada! 

Whew!  Do you love them!

Well, I hope you are all using this time to sew, it will help keep things calmer.  I know it is hard.  I have friends that have the virus and relatives in the hospital, for other reasons, but it is still scary.  So, deep breathe and sew on!

I look forward to seeing your Grand Central Blocks coming together in the Grand Central FB group and your Bloom fabric selections in the Sew on the Go Quilting Circle.

Take care!

Keep stitching, 
Michelle 


Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!