Sunset on the Sound ~ Clue #15 ~ 1st Block Revealed!

Woohoo!  It is a very exciting week here!

Carol Perkins, of Threads Galore, finished quilting my Moonlight GardenIt is stunning!  Those of you attending Spring Getaway Retreat (in less than 2 weeks!) or are taking my class at Vermont Quilt Festival or  Quilt Odyssey at Hershey will see it in person!
Moonlight Garden ~ By Michelle Renee Hiatt ~ Quilted By Carol A Perkins
What you need to keep in mind is that my Moonlight Garden blocks are 9 inches.  Think about how small those quilted pebbles and stars are!  I love it.    Carol and Dan are retiring from the Quilt Shop business, however Carol will be quilting for hire, so make sure to stay tuned to their newsletter to hear about their next journey. 

In the meantime, you should check out their shop and online Retirement Sale!  Carol still has some of my favorite Alison Glass fabric left....  Check out the deals here:  Threads Galore Retirement Sale.  I'll race you over there!

Speaking of Alison Glass!  She sent me an advance release of her Holiday Fabric!  In case you missed my announcement last week, I will be kicking off my next Mystery Series mid-May.  It is called Holiday Extravaganza, it will be a Medallion Quilt Mystery Series, and will run through  mid-September. 
Holiday by Alison Glass fabric (Andover) ~ Michelle's Holiday Extravaganza Fabric
Over, the next few weeks, I will release more details.

I will have more details in the upcoming weeks, however here is what I can share now:
  • It will be a large Throw size and it will use Fat Quarters (24-28).  
  • You can pick from your favorite Holiday fabrics (or not but it is Holiday themed)
  • I'm still working through the fabric requirements, but I can tell you at this point, I plan to use the 24 Fat Quarters in Alison Glass' Holiday Bundle, plus 4-5 coordinating from her Insignia 2018 and Sunprint 2019 (basically the Greens and Red/Pink).  I'm still determining the remainder of the yardage for background and such.... 
  • I plan to release the complete yardage on 5/10/2019 and that will be shared on this blog and downloadable.
  • I'm in the design stage, so I plan to have a list of the required tools next week, on 4/26/2019 and will be running a sale on those tools for the announcement week. I will be shared on this blog.
Note:  You can use any Holiday fabric, the 2019 lines are starting to be released.  You can pre-order most of them from your favorite quilt shops.  If  you are interested in pre-ordering the Holiday Fabric line from Alison Glass, she is currently offering a pre-order sale on her website (www.alisonglass.com), make sure to use the code she mentions for free shipping and put in comments that you are participating in my Holiday Extravaganza Mystery.  

Drum roll, please!  

Now for Clue #15 of my Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series!  The 1st Block is revealed!  
Sunset on the Sound ~ Clue #15 ~ Sound Block


Okay, Clue #15!  

We will be using all of the HST/ L1/M3 V Block units that you made in Clue #9 and the M3/L1 V-L1/M3 CB units that you made in Clue #11. 

The Download will have the specifics, however, I have a several tips below.  Please make sure to read, as these tips will help you!

  • These units have some funny angles, so make sure you check your orientation. 
See IT!  Flip IT! Sew It
  • Sew with the V Block Units on top, making sure to nest the seams.  I highly recommended that you pin this seam.   Pin now, or rip later.  
Nest and pin the seam.  Pin the end of your units and watch where you are sewing over that V Block seam intersection
  • Next, you are going to sew your quarters together.  Do not line them up as a block, lay them out as a half, you will keep your orientation this way.  Plus they will sew together more easily. 

See IT! Flip IT! Sew IT!
  • You are going to want to match that Corner Beam corner seam.  I put a pin through the back side of the CB unit on top, through the seam intersection, matching to the point below. 

Pin matching the Corner Beam corner seam
  • Once you have the seams matched, place a pin close to the intersection and remove the straight pin and stitch. 
Take your time, pinning seams and keep that corner pinned until you get there.  
  • Now lay out the halves as a block.  Check that orientation
See IT!  Flip IT! Sew IT!
  • Next pin, matching those critical intersections, using the method shown about.  Straight pin through both layers, come in and pin beside those straight pins and remove the straight pin. 
Match and pin those seams!
  • Most of these seams you will be pressing open.  This last one is extremely important.  Be sure to use your pressing Seam Stick.  Once I complete the block, I applied a nice mist of Best Press, with my Mister

  • TADA! A beautiful flat block! 

Sound Block
I hope you love this Sound Block as much as I do!  I know it is a little challenging but worth it in the end.  Next week is the final Clue #16, which will reveal the complete quilt!  

Note: Only the last three weeks of clues are available for download.  Those earlier clues are no longer available, however if you missed a clue or the series, you will be able to purchase the clues at the end of the series.    Make sure to download your clue, as next Friday, the only clue that will be on the website is Clue #16.  Clue #16 will only be available for one week.  

That is it for this week.  Please have a happy and safe holiday weekend.

Keep Stitching,
Michelle


Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!