Block 35 ~ Autumn Stars!

Block 35 ~ Autumn Stars was in Progressive Farmer, 1935.   Nancy Cabot was credited with the same block, but referenced as Golden Chains, in the Chicago Tribune, November 20, 1937. 

Block 35 ~ Autumn Stars
This block has terrific movement given the Split Rects and Dual-Colored Square-in-Square unit.  Add the Corner Beam unit to the corners and wow!  With its great lines, this block would be great as an alternate block in a quilt or makes for a wonderful one block quilt due to the secondary design within the block.  Hmm.. maybe this is another block used in a setting in the Book Series.... :)



Since the techniques used in this block have been covered in previous, I'm going to spend most of my post on color.  However, if you need assistance:


Okay, let's talk color.  

Inspiration is usually were I start.  As many of you know, I often get my inspiration for color combinations from my garden.  This week's inspiration is no different.    I have a pair of Chrysanthemums at my front door that burst into bloom this past week.   The yellow, gold, and red/orange combination just spoke to me.
Front Steps with Chrysanthemums

Fabulous color in the Chrysanthemums 
So, I went into my Art Gallery scraps and found this Golden Yellow (24) fabric.   I just loved the combination of colors in the fabric.  So, this week for my color plan, I used the selvage.  The selvage color bubble #2, which is the Blue-Red (18) on the color wheel and selvage color bubble #6 is Yellow (1) on the color wheel.  Therefore, I pulled fabric to match those.  I love it!
Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
For my second fabric selection, I stayed with the Golden Yellow (24) but when with a Triadic color plan.  Pulling a Fuchsia (16) for my medium and Aqua Blue (8) for my dark.
Michelle's Fabric Selection 2

I hope this helps show you the difference color can make in your blocks and perhaps where you can start.  Just look around your surroundings.   Look for color that works well together in your surroundings; color you use in your gardens, in your house, etc.

Well, I have to get back to fixing the rest of my techno trauma!   Speaking of trauma, seems I forgot to put the link in for the download to the block!   Boy!  My email would be exploding even more than it already has today!

Keep stitching and thank you for the patience in my delayed post!

Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!