Block 24~ Morning Star and MAQ

Can you believe we are on block 24!  Halfway there!  Yeah!

This week's block is Morning Star.  Morning Star, appeared in the Ladies Art Company in 1897.  This is one of those blocks that has been known by several names.  In that same year, 1897, it appeared in the Hearth and Home, called Virginia.  Then, in 1934, Nancy Cabot was credit in the Chicago Tribune, and the block was called Rosebud.    I think both Morning Star and Rosebud are perfect names for this block.

Block 24~ Morning Star ~ Michelle's Fabric Selection 1

If you have master Flying Geese, this unit comes together easily.  This is a fabulous block to showcase those large floral prints in the center.  This simple block can be extremely striking with the right contrast between the band and the star. 

If you've been following along, I know the last few weeks have been pretty challenging blocks, this week is much simpler.  I know I will be seeing many of you over the next few weeks at either MAQ, Quilt Odyssey or Maine Quilts, so I wanted to make sure these next few weeks were manageable.

Simple doesn't mean not as stunning, as I think this block is very refreshing.  Consider my advice above, place a multi-colored print in that center.

For my first fabric selection used a photo of my Foxgloves for inspiration, which ended up being a split complementary color plan; Purple (15), Magenta (17) and Yellow-Green (3).  I picked a nice floral print for the center square.


Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
For my second fabric selection, I also went with a split complimentary color plan.  I felt I needed more yellow in my blocks, so I started with the light Golden -Yellow(24), then joined across the wheel to the Cerulean Blue (10) - Red Violet (14).  Selecting a medium that had most of the colors in it. 


This week, we use the Wing Clipper, to make 2 sets of Flying Geese.   You got this, easy!

How are you blocks sizing up?  Do they all measure 12 1/2".  The Studio 180 Rulers are fantastic and your units will trim to the proper size, but you still have to get those into a block using your best 1/4" seam.  I always check my blocks with the Tucker Trimmer III, to make sure they measure 12 1/2".   I use my Tucker Trimmer III everyday that I'm sewing.  It is fabulous for squaring up blocks.    You use it the same way you use your Tucker Trimmer 1.

Start checking your blocks, as I have 2 quilt settings release shortly, one for 18 blocks and another for 24.  If you don't own the Tucker Trimmer III, you can purchase one in my Etsy shop:  Sew on the Go  .   Or see me at MAQ!  Make sure to download this week's block:  Download Block 24

That is all I have for today, I'm teaching at MAQ this week, at Mount St. Mary's.  This is a beautiful event that is held every July.  
Mount St. Mary's Emmitsburg, MD
If you haven't been, you need to check it out for next year.  

For those of you at MAQ, I will see you shortly, I hope you brought your blocks!  

Keep stitching, 
Michelle 

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!