Paducah Week! Make-up Week! Block 2 -The Silent Star

While I'm having a blast teaching at AQS Quiltweek, in Paducah, I'm going to give a few of the "late to the series" folks a chance to download block 2 and the rest of you a week to catch-up!

Also, a special note to those of you that completed Block 2 several weeks ago, you may want to locate that spare unit!  If you switched colorways after block 13, this may be a great block to make in your new colorway, as you may need that spare unit!  If you missed Block 2, this may not make sense, go ahead and make the unit and it all will.  😉

Block 2- The Silent Star
Block 2 - The Silent Star
The Silent Star, dates back to 1871, but was known as the Frank Leslie Design Block.  However, the block became popular, as the Silent Star, in church quilting groups, in the early 1940s in United States.  Many church quilting groups made comfort quilts, including the Silent Star block, to provide comfort to war torn areas, but at the same time to demonstrate America's conviction to stay out of WWII. 

As you know, some weeks, I talk more in-depth about my color/fabric selections than other weeks, I wanted to repeat a tip that works great for me, if you haven't been with me for this entire journey.  I wanted to show you how I selected the colors in each of my versions and how I used the Grayscale photo trick to make sure I was placing the fabric in the proper values.


Fabric Selection 1 for Block 2
Grayscale of Fabric Selection 1

Fabric Selection 1:
For block 2,  I was trying to use the Triadic approach to this first fabric selection.  So, I started with a Light and Dark, of the Magenta that I just love!  I found the light and the darker version on Color Tab 17.  Which informed me I was looking for yellow (1) and turquoise blue/cyan (9).  Based on my grayscale version of the block I knew I was looking for a light of the yellow and medium of the turquoise.  I began pulling fabric and taking photos, which gave me some perspective.   Then using my smart phone, I change the effects to the grayscale to see if my values were correct.

Fabric Selection 2 for Block 2

Grayscale of Fabric Selection 2
Fabric Selection 2: 
For this block, I had to move into that second fat quarter pack (see, I didn’t even make it 2 weeks with 3 colors!).  I opted to go with a split complimentary approached.  Starting with that Aqua Green (7), I was able to determine the Red (19) was the complimentary color I needed.  I elected to use the Pink, as it was a light version of 19.  For the other values, I selected to use the partners to 7, Blue Green (6) and Aqua Blue (8).  Pulling those color tabs, I was able to easily put the proper fabrics from my bundle.  I took photos and double checked before cutting.


Fabric Selection 3 for Block 2
Grayscale of Fabric Selection 3
Fabric Selection 3:  
For this one, I also went split complimentary.  I started with the fabulous light chartreuse aboriginal dots (2) and lotus print (reading as Purple 15).  So, therefore I knew, the other colors I needed to find were from color tabs; 13 and 14.  Again, I pulled those color tabs and started to dig through my piles of scraps.   I took photos until I got something I was happy with. 

So, that is my lesson in color and fabric selection for this week.  I can’t stress enough, how important it is to have a color wheel and know how to use it. 

As far as organization and technique tips for this week’s block;

  • Take the time to organize your pairs!  Make sure you use those color swatch blocks I provide on the direction sheet.  Match up your pairs to ensure you are sewing the proper fabrics together.  If you use paper plates to organize, it will be helpful (more to come on paper plate organization in future blog post).
  • Make sure are pairing the fabrics with right sides together.  I cannot tell you how many times, in classes, I have students who have forgotten to check to make sure they have placed the right sides together.



  • Use a Quilter’s Magic Wand when drawing your 2 sewing lines for both units.  Get the line nice and tight to the wand, and use a fine marking instrument to mark those lines.  I love the Sewline pencils, they are ceramitized chalk that provide a nice fine line for you to sew on, but that eventually flakes off, and therefore doesn’t damage your quilt.  They come in 5 colors and are great!  Make sure to take the time to draw the 2 lines, you will be much more accurate than with just drawing 1 center line and gauging ¼” on both sides of that line.   
  • Swirl those seam intersections of those quarter square triangles, your blocks will lay much flatter.   
  • Take the time to lay out your units, to make sure you have the units (colors) in the proper place before your sew your block together.  Even consider taking a picture, you will be surprised how much more you see in a photo than purely looking at the units.
  • Press the seams open using the pressing seam stick, you will love  the results! Featured in Block 1's post.
I think that is it, go download the instructions and have fun! HERE

Make sure to page down on the webpage and remember to download them by Thursday night,  of January 26th!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!