Get ready for my new Timeless With a Twist Pattern Series - Block of the Week!


New Details!  The Timeless With a Twist Mystery Pattern Series Introduction and Fabric Requirements are ready!

Last week, I introduced my new block of the week series for 2018.  It is a fresh take on 48 Timeless Quilt Blocks.  

Throughout this pattern series, I will take a closer look at 48 blocks that I consider to be timeless. I will share a brief history on each block, and then provide a fresh clean perspective on the timeless block.

Each week for 48 weeks, starting the first week of January, I will provide cutting instructions and directions for one of the blocks.  You must be a subscriber to my email newsletter to receive the announcement of each block.  The directions will only be available for 7 days.  No exceptions.  The full set will be available for purchase at the end of the series (shhhh... maybe in a book... shhh.).  If I feel more detailed instructions, tips and tricks are needed, I will feature some tips and tricks here on my blog. 

Along the journey we will talk about color, value and placement.  You may want to get yourself a color wheel, if you don’t already have one.  I have some great tips in the Introduction/Fabric requirements.

Now, this pattern series is a bit of a mystery.  However, don’t worry, you will have multiple Quilt sizes and Sampler setting options to choose from, since throughout the mystery series I will provide different settings options using subsets of the 48 blocks (12, 16, 24, 32) or all 48.  Therefore, you may elect to make most of the blocks, but make multiple quilts instead of one large quilt.  In addition, to multiple sizes, I will also be offering range of styles, from fairly traditional to a touch modern.

Don’t stress if you are going to miss a week or two, since there are multiple block settings, you may not need the block.  Or, if you needed the block for your setting, then you can always make a duplicate block of another block or wait until the end and get the full set of blocks.

If you are asking yourself what is a Sampler quilt, I will have another post up in the next few days, providing a mini-history on Sampler quilts and why I love them.   However, the description is that Sampler quilts are comprised of different block patterns that are generally non-repeating. In most samplers, every single block is different. Traditionally, each of these unique blocks are the same size, but they can vary. When all the blocks are completed, they are sewn together with or without sashing in various settings.

Overview on Blocks:
Each block will finish 12”x12” - The quilt is meant to be constructed as a scrappy quilt, but you know me, my scrappy is a bit of an organized scrappy.   Each block will use background fabric and between 2-6 other fabrics, of varying value.  In other words, you will want to make sure you have a couple different values (light-medium-dark) within each colorway you choose.  I got into this more in the Introduction and Fabric Requirements.

Fabric & Color Selection:
You may want to determine if you are going to complete the whole series, part of the series, or play it by ear.  In any event, I suggest you start by pulling out a favorite bunch of scraps, a favorite print or two, or a favorite fat quarter pack.  Consider this your inspiration.

In the Introduction and Fabric Requirements, I go into the different color schemes and how you want to pick the one that works for you.  I talk through color and value, and basic instructions on using a color wheel. 
24-Step Color Wheel


I have 2 fabulous Color Wheel tools, in my Etsy shop that feature the 24-Step Color Wheel and provide additional instructions.
My favorite- 3 in 1 Color Tool

Next, check out the fabric requirements in the Introduction and Fabric Requirements.  Note, I've listed the fabric requirements for the multiple block quilt settings.  These settings will be revealed throughout the series, there is no need to make the decision as to the number of blocks or the quilt setting you plan to make, at this time.  I’m just trying to give you an idea of how much fabric you are going to need, if you feel you have to figure it all out now.  The beauty of a Sampler quilt, it is supposed to be scrappy, therefore, you can add fabric throughout the series.  The more fabric, the better.

My recommendation:
 You can either pull/purchase fat quarters, or start with 10-24 fat quarter pack that you love and analyze if you have enough variation in color and value.  You may elect to add another 4-12 fat quarters of blenders to fill in any color or value shortfall.    If you don’t like or have fat quarters (I wouldn’t judge you), you can always go with ¼ yards, 1/3 yards or ½ yards to make up the total yardage needed.

If you need more help with understanding color and value, I will have more tips along the way, but I've given you advise in the Introduction and Fabric Requirements.  

So, what are you waiting for, download the Introduction and Fabric Requirements now!

Happy Stitching,
Michelle


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Deborah - I was in my newsletter that was sent on Friday. With assistance on my Friday Blog Post. https://sewonthego.blogspot.com/2018/01/block-1-timeless-with-twist-woohoo-it.html.

      Make sure you are signed up for my weekly newsletter, so you don't miss a block: http://www.sewonthego.net/about.html

      Delete
  2. So apparently I missed the deadline to download the fabric/cutting instructions (I didn't get the newsletter until block #2)...is there a way that I can purchase them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be able to purchase them at the end, but follow along, there are plenty of blocks

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!