A few new tools (Toys) to sew with...

I've been traveling so much these last few weeks that I haven't had a chance to post my newest tools (Toys) that I recently picked up to  improve my sewing time and quality even more!

The first is my new Big Board from my Sewing Sun Room.  As you know I have a sewing space downstairs on the lower level with my long arm, 2nd Pfaff Creative Vision, huge cutting table and iron table.  However, we have a beautiful sun room that I like to sew in on the main level.  I was using a normal ironing board upstairs and it was so flimsy and small.  Plus not very dog friendly.  I've heard from several friends over the years that they had their husbands make them Big Boards... well my husband doesn't do woodwork, so I went looking for them on the web.
Big Board in the Sew Sun Room
I found it at Nancy's Notions and a great deal.  It was on sale for $109 from $139 the day I got it (I believe it is on sale again).  The down side is that it took 5-6 weeks to get here, but it is extremely well made.  Very sturdy, I don't feel nervous having the dog around and the best part is that I can iron a fat quarter depth (or a folded fabric selvage to selvage).  Additionally, I can open fabric completely and perform my initial iron, with best press, on the fabric before cutting.  

More to come on my prepping of fabric for supreme cutting.  My friend Jackie O'Brien, from If These Threads Could Talk, has convinced me that I need to do a series on how I prep my fabric for cutting, to get the best possible cuts.  When we were at Deb Tucker's Certified Teacher Reunion she informed me that she hadn't seen anyone do it quite like I do.  So, I'm going to start a series on it.

Okay, onto my second great find.  The Large Alto mat.  So, many of us are familiar with QuiltCut2 Fabric Cutting, I have one and they are great for performing mass amounts of cutting.  I probably don't use mine as much as I should, but I'm a ruler cutter.  By that I mean I measure my fabric by the ruler.  I do not use the lines on my mat.  I own Creative Grid rulers up to 24" and I rarely need to use the lines on my mat for cutting.  I like to have the fabric I'm cutting under my ruler.  I just feel I get a more accurate cut.  

Back to the Large Alto Mat...   So, I feel, the best part of the QuiltCut2 Fabric system is the mat.  When I was at Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design's Certification last September, she had several of the mats without the board.  They are great for performing demos on because they are white. Turns out you can purchase them as a stand alone.  They have the Medium which can replace the mat on your QuiltCut2 or stand alone.  They offer a small and a large, the Large mat is 26" x 47"... can you say heaven!  It is great!  Same as the Big Board, you can cut the full depth of a Fat Quarter, or have over a yard of full width of fabric (folded selvage to selvage) on you board.  Plus, there is no other mat that feels the way this one does, when your rotary cutter travels across the mat.  No bumps, no fuzz, it is great.
Large Alto Mat

I purchase my mat direct from another Certified Instructor, Barbara Dann.  She has sold the QuiltCut2 mats for years.  Her shop is Alley Cat Quiltworks but I'm not sure she ships them, you would have to check with her.  Or you can get them through their website Quilt Cut.

For full disclosure, as always I've purchased both of these products myself, with no incentive, I just love them and wanted to share. 

Must get back to cutting stay tuned for those Fabric Prepping and Cutting Tips.

Comments

  1. I want one of those big ironing boards also. I have a big board that fits on my regular board but it's not as sturdy as those that you are referring to. A shop in nearby sells them. Also woo Hoo on sharing your ironing techniques.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!