Block 40 ~ Periwinkle & Sunset on the Sound (Mystery)

Block 40, Periwinkle, by Nancy Page, was published in Birmingham News on March 12, 1935. 

Block 40 ~ Periwinkle ~ Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
This block is made up of Diamond Rectangles and Corner Beams.  I absolutely love the movement!  This block is most likely a revolution of the Shooting Star (Ladies Art Company, 1897).  Replacing the basic squares of the Shooting Star, with Corner Beams, creates Periwinkle. When putting the Diamond Rectangles together, alternating one of the side triangles creates that center secondary design.   A perfect name for this block, just like a Periwinkle flower, this block is classic (timeless) yet whimsical.

If you are following along with the series, you know how to make Diamond Rects and Corner Beam.  If you need a refresher, check out the blog post for Block 38 for a Diamond Rect pictorial and blog post for Block 17.

For the my first fabric selection, I went with a split-complementary color plan.  Selecting the Light-Medium Yellow-Green (3), then picking the Light from the same color tab.  Then going across the color wheel and selecting the Purple (15) and Magenta (17).  I love this combination!
Michelle's Fabric Selection 1

My second fabric selection, I went with a Triadic color plan. I selected to use that fabulous print, which is on the dark tint of Blue-Violet (12) for my Dark, then picking a medium from that same color tab.  The Triadic color plan takes me to Orange-Red (20) and Green (4 technically, but I went with 5 since I was pulling from scraps.  Still love it!

So, the trickiest part of the construction is the alternate side triangle used to create the center.    You will want to play close attention to step 5 in the download.    First, you will need to follow the special instructions for cutting the side triangles.  Next, you are going to want to make sure you lay them out properly (step 8).

In addition, you are going to want to sew it properly, so I elected to sew the Light side triangle to be my first to sew on, so I could keep it straight.
That way, you are setting yourself up for success!  

Okay, now onto some details on the Mystery!

Announcing
Sunset on the Sound ~ Mystery Series ~ Starting in January 2019


You can download the details that are listed below, along with Fabric Requirements:  download

Quilt Sizes: Wall/Baby 54” x 54”, Throw 58” x 82”, and Queen 82” x 106”

Tools Needed:
·        Corner Beam,
·        V Block,
·        Tucker Trimmer 1,
·        Split Rects,
·        (Newer) Square²  (Or Large Square Squared)
·        Quilter’s Magic Wand
·        3-in-1 Color Tool

Series: This is a Mystery Quilt series and is for followers of my newsletter and blog.  Here's how the mystery quilt works. The fabric requirements and cutting instructions are provide below.  I’m giving you several weeks to dig through your stash or go shopping. 

The Clues, providing construction steps, will be posted on weekly on Friday or Saturdays for 16 weeks, from January 4th or 5th through April 26th or 27th.   Announced through my weekly newsletter or blog.
  •        I will do my best to post every Friday, but sometimes life happens, so I want to state up front, there could be a travel week, illness or a family emergency.  Life happens.  So, I will strive for Friday and plan on posting on Friday 99.9% of the time.  
  •     If you count those weeks up, you will note that is 17 weeks and I only stated 16 weeks.  That is because there will be a "bye" week.   That "bye" week is to be determined.    


The clues, will provided the construction task for the week, with step-by-step instructions.  You will be responsible to view or download/print your clue each week.  Each week, you will see more and more of the units -- just enough to keep you guessing!  On the last week, we will give you the final construction steps and the mystery will be revealed.

Let me state this up front.  Mystery Quilts are not for everyone.  If you are a person who needs to know what the quilt is going to look upfront, this may not be the project for you.   I will be providing fabric color and value recommendations, but I will not be telling you what will go next to what, it is a mystery.  You will have to trust that I know what I’m doing, and you must follow the value instructions very carefully, especially if you are going with a different color plan. 

I will not be able to give everyone fabric selection assistance.  I will do my best, especially if you are in a class or retreat with me, but I will not be able to handle an insurgence of emails, FB messaging, texts, etc. with photos requesting immediate feedback because you are in a store.  J    Instead, I hope that you will read the advice I provide on my Blog and download.  You can also take the download to a Quilt Shop, and most of the ones I know, will gladly help you. 

So, go shopping and/or dig through your stash for scraps or yardage in dark, light, and assorted medium as instructed in Recommended Color Plan section.  Remember mystery-quilt patterns emerge best when high-contrast fabric choices in color and/or value are made. Gather the tools and fabric yardages listed in the next few weeks. Get ready to have some fun in the New Year!

Recommended Color Plan:  Triadic Color Plan with an Accent



Michelle’ Fabric Choice for Sunset on the Sound

·        My version is made with a Triadic color plan, which is beautifully displayed in my Border fabric.    The recommended colors are; Cerulean Blue (10), Blue Red (18), and Chartreuse (2), and an accent fabric Orange-Yellow (23)  
o   The numbers following the color names above are from my favorite tool, the 3-in-1 Color Tool
o   If you aren’t familiar with it, go check out my blog- Sew On the Go, I provide weekly tips on how to use the tool within my Timeless with a Twist series.
o   I started with the Border Fabric; it had all the colors I loved from my photo.  I pulled out my 3-in-1 Color Tool and located the primary color in the fabric.  The color that is it going to read from 4 feet away.  It reads as a Cerulean Blue (10).

·        When I turn over the Cerulean Blue (10) tab, it tells me for a Triadic color plan, I need to use Blue Red (18), and Chartreuse (2), I then pulled out those tabs, and when to my stash (and shopping).   The mystery needs an accent color too!  So, I went a few tabs over from my Chartreuse (2), going backwards to tab 23 (Orange-Yellow). 

·        You are not required to use the same colors.  You can change the colors; however, it is very important to remember the value and contrast when switching colors.  Also, remember the quilt will work best with a Triadic Color Plan.  Refer to the 3-in-1 Tool to help you switch colors.
·        Small Prints, Tone-on-tone, Batiks, Solids, are recommended for the majority of the fabrics.  Given that you do not know where the fabric will be, nor the size of the units.  Hence the Mystery.
·        Remember it will difficult for me to give one-on-one fabric advice.  

      Therefore, if you are going to change the Color Plan, please review my advice in the downloadAdditionally, I've provided Fabric Requirements, for all 3 sizes in the download, so go ahead and download that, so you can begin shopping!  

      Well, I have to get back to Quilting in Vermont - Fall Retreat.  Please review the download, prior to emailing questions regarding the Mystery!   Thank you!  

      Keep Stitching,
      Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!