New Pattern ~ Be Dazzled & Block 32 ~ Pink Magnolias

This week's block is Pink Magnolias credited to Nancy Cabot in Chicago Tribune, July 26, 1936.   Nancy Cabot is quoted as saying “Pink Magnolias is a pieced block of southern origin, made for the first time in New Orleans.  The completed block is really four magnolias with the leaves set together and with the blossoms radiating from the center.”  She described it perfectly!  However, I could not find it referenced prior to 1936, so I’ve only listed her version.
B32 ~ Pink Magnolias ~ Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
Pink Magnolias is made up of two sets of two types of Split Rects and Four-Patch units, so you will only need your Split Rects and the optional Four-Patch Square Up  (I would use it, especially for these little guys!)

I love this block, it is so happy! 

My color selections are pretty close this week.  It is hard not to use Pink on a block that is called Pink Magnolias.  :)  For both fabric selections I went with a Split Complementary color plan. 

For my first fabric selection, I went with Fushia (16) and paired it with a Medium Yellow Green (3) and Chartreuse (2).
Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
For my second fabric selection, I'm switching to my Alison Glass scraps for my last 16 blocks (can you believe there are only 16 left).  I went with a Magenta (17) and paired it with a Green (5) and  Yellow Green (3). 
Michelle's Fabric Selection 2
Now, both the Split Rects and Four-Patch are repeat techniques.  If you want a refresher on the Split Rects, check out Block 31's post.  If you want a pictorial on the Four Patch Square Up, check out Block 8's post.  Remember to download this week's block by Thursday, September 20th.

So, my lesson for today, is to pay great attention to the Split Rects and Four Patches when you lay out this block..... ask me how I know!
A little Whoops in my Fabric Selection 2
Well, I'm off to un-sew after this!  Those Four-Patches get me every time!  I do love this version, with my Alison Glass fabric scraps.

Speaking of Alison Glass, I featured her fabrics in my latest pattern release ~ Be Dazzled!
Be Dazzled ~ Michelle Renee Hiatt
Be Dazzled is a modern merging of Ohio Stars and Shaded Nine-Patch comes together to dazzle! Be Dazzled is a splendid combination of traditional and modern. It is a wonderful creative use of those blender fabrics! The negative space amongst the Shaded Nine-Patch units creates a unique secondary design, which provides an excellent space for custom quilting to accentuate your design.

Be Dazzled looks great on any color background fabric and comes together easily with the S180 Tucker Trimmer™ and Tucker Trimmer II™ .  Per usual, I offer three finished Quilt Sizes: Throw: 69” x 69”, Twin 75” x 102”, Queen 102” x 102”.

Be Dazzled is now available for Pre-Order and will ship next Friday, September 21st.  Any products ordered with Be Dazzled, will ship with the pattern.  Make sure to check out the coupon, offered in my Newsletter this week!

That is it for this week!  I have to start preparing for my Quilters on the Lake Retreat, which starts next Sunday in New Hampshire.  Make sure to pay attention to the details for next year's Quilters on the Lake, which will be announced next week. 

I hope everyone in the southeast is holding strong and has minimum damage.  My thoughts are with you all.

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!