Reveal! Sunset on the Sound

Yeah!  Sunset on the Sound Clue #16 Revealed!  

I hope you all love it as much as I do!  I had hoped to get my version quilted before the reveal but it didn't happen.  Life!  Plus you may remember I wanted to make mine a Queen after I saw it coming together.  Try as I might to find more background fabric to make my Throw a Queen, I was unable to find enough.  I thought I could "make it work" with what I found, but after recalculation I could not fanagal it (I know you know what I mean- 😁).  Therefore, I will have Throw and a Wall.  Which actually works out, as I can hang the Wall in my Sunroom/Studio while the Throw goes to work in my Trunk Show for a bit.

Sunset on the Sound ~ Reveal!
Note: Only the this week's clue is available for download.  Make sure to download your clue, as next Friday, it will be removed.  

If you love Sunset on the Sounds as much as I do, and didn't participate in the mystery or missed some clues.  You can now purchase the complete series, as download, in my Etsy shop. Purchase complete Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series

Before I get into the details of Clue #16, remember I will be kicking off a new Mystery Series, Holiday Extravaganza, a medallion quilt, in mid-May

Next week, I will release the complete fabric requirements.

However, here is what I can share now:
(downloadable at Detail on Holiday Extravaganza- scroll to the bottom of the webpage):
  • It will be a Throw size (64: x 64")
  • It will require the following tools: 15% off tools through May 2nd - code HOEX15
  • It will use Fat Quarters (24-28)   
    • I'm still working through the fabric requirements, but I can tell you at this point, I plan to use the 24 Fat Quarters in Alison Glass' Holiday Bundle (shown above), plus 4-5 coordinating from her Insignia 2018 and Sunprint 2019 (basically the Greens and Red/Pink).  I'm still determining the remainder of the yardage for background and such.
    • I will release the complete yardage on May 3rd and that will be shared on this blog and downloadable.
  • There will be 16 Clues plus a reveal (Clue #17)
  • The Clues, providing construction steps, will be posted weekly on Friday, from May 10th through September 13th.   Announced through my weekly newsletter or blog.
  • I built in one “Bye” week and I will do my best to post every Friday, but sometimes life happens, so I want to state up front, there could be a travel week, illness or a family emergency.  Life happens.  So, I will strive for Friday and plan on posting on Friday 99.9% of the time.   
  • The clues will provide the construction task for the week, with step-by-step instructions.    
    • Each week, you will make either (1) 12” Block or (4) 6” Blocks.
    • Each week, you will see more and more of the blocks -- just enough to keep you guessing! 
    • On the last week, in Clue #17, you will get the final construction steps and the mystery will be revealed.
    • The clues are for personal use only and are not to be shared.
    • The clues will only be up for one week.  You will be responsible to view or download/print your clue each week.  If you missed any clues, you will be able to purchase the series at the end of the Mystery for a nominal fee.
Let's get into the details of completing Sunset on the Sound!    

Now for Clue #16 of my Sunset on the Sound Mystery Series!  The 2nd Block is revealed along with Quilt Construction!  

The Download will have the specifics, however, I have a several tips below.  Please make sure to read, as these tips will help you!

We will be using almost all your remaining units for the Sunset Block.  You will have a few units left that will be used to create a pieced inner border.
Sunset Block ~ Michelle's version
A few tips on the construction of the Sunset Block:
  • When creating the center, layout the units and then sew with the Square Squared unit on top to make sure you hit those seam intersections. 

Layout

See it

Flip it and Sew it ~ Watch to make sure you hit that seam intersection

Same for the other side

Lay it out again ~ See it

Flip it and Sew it.  
  • Now, lay out all the units for your block and make sure you check that orientation
  • Sew into rows, and rows into blocks, make sure to pin and press properly.

 Quilt construction
  • Layout your blocks and when you go to set them together you are going to want to match your points.  
  • Last week, I did a pictorial on pinning, using narrative and photos.  However, I recently remembered that I recorded a tip for AQS when I was teaching at Paducah last year.   It covers precision piecing and proper pressing of seams open.  I thought this might help some of you.  Check it out.   They spelled my name wrong, but I promise it is me. 

Precision Piecing and Press

LOL!  It is funny now, seeing how short my hair was, and of course they recorded it on the 4th day!

  • Okay, specific to this quilt, pin those points:
3 key points, match with straight pin, then pin beside, remove straight pin

Perfect match points.

Continue to match and pin points when you put the rows together.
  • When putting your rows together and borders on, be sure to make sure you are supporting the quilt.  It will be heavy and it has a lot of seams pressed open that need care. 
Support the quilt
  • If you need a to borrow my Hunter, the Sewing Watchdog, let me know:
From my sewing spot, this is my view of my Sewing Watchdog ~ Hunter
  • Once you get the center and the inner border sewn together, check it.  Take a picture of it and double check you have everything as it should be, before sewing on the last two borders. 
Check the center.
  • Measure that Center and then cut the Border to size.  
  • Tada!
Wall Size

Throw Size

Queen Size
 

Please post and email me at michelle.hiatt@sewonthego.net your completed quilt tops, as I would like to put together a Video Slideshow and present on this blog, by mid-May.  

Again, I hope you love it as much as I do!  Don't forget about the Sale on the next Mystery tools.

I have a busy week in front of me; teaching Summer Star at The Yankee Quilter and then Lynn Wheatley and I have 28 Quilters coming to Spring Getaway 2019 at Lake Morey, VT on Thursday!

Have a great week!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!