Block 25 ~ Chisholm Trail & Quilt Odyssey

This week, I writing to you from Hershey, PA.  I'm teaching at Quilt Odyssey, one of my favorite events.   Yesterday, was my first class, Sparkle!  Tons of fun, everyone did great!  It was so nice catching up with so many of you, I'm so thankfully you choose to take at least one of my classes each year.  I also had a good number of newbies, I love introducing you to tools that work.

I can't wait for today's class, Lightning and then tomorrow I'm teaching Bloom and giving a lunch lecture! 

Block 25 is Chisholm Trail Quilt Block,  which first appeared in the Kansas City Star on May 31,1939.   A similar block called the Free Trade Block, appeared in Cincinnati Enquirer, a few years prior on April 17, 1933.  The Chisholm Trail offered a slight variation from the Free Trade Block, switching dark squares for background squares in the center of the block.  The Chisholm Trail quilt block is comprised solely of squares and half square triangles. Once again, the value of the color chosen is what sets the interest in this quilt block. The Chisholm Trail was a trail used in the post-Civil War era to drive cattle overland, from ranches in Texas to Kansas railheads. The portion of the trail marked by Jesse Chisholm went from his southern trading post near the Red River, to his northern trading post near Kansas City, Kansas.  Therefore, the Chisholm Quilt Block’s value placement draws the eye from the south to north.
Block 25 ~ Michelle's Chisholm Trail
Chisholm comes together easily with Tucker Trimmer!  You are going to make two sets of Half Square Triangles.  Easy!  See I told you I would go easy on you these next few weeks.  A floral or multi-color print can really make this block.  Pay attention to that value.

I have to run to class, so only a quick note on color this week. For my first fabric selection, I went with a Split Complementary color plan.  Electing that Aqua Blue (8) and then pulling Blue Red (18) and a Yellow-Orange (22).   Make sure to download Block 25's details:  Download

For my second fabric selection, I went with a Triadic color plan, selection that fabulous Magenta (17) and then pulling the Turquoise (9) and Yellow (1). 

I have two more days of classes, here at Hershey; Lightning today and then Bloom tomorrow.  I'm also giving a lecture at lunch tomorrow.   If you are at Hershey, make sure to say "Hi".

I head home on Sunday, then turn around and head future north to Maine Quilts (Augusta. ME) on Tuesday.    Wednesday, we set up the Booth and my classroom.  The Market opens Wednesday night for Preview and then classes begin on Thursday.  Calm Seas and Jenn's Journey classes are sold out, but I believe there may be a few spots left in Lightning.   Plus, I'm giving a lunch lecture on Thursday, come and join me!

Have a fabulous week, I hope to see many more of you this week at either Hershey or Maine Quilts! 

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!