Not your Grandmother's Dresden - Part 1

I've always loved Dresden Plate Quilts and wanted to start one.  There are all these neat tools out there, so a few weeks back I tested a few, using a few scraps.    This would be a 24" Block.


I found that I liked the Trace and Create template.  Although I modified the technique a bit.


I plan to teach a class in a few weeks at Pennington Quilt Works, so I created a plan in EQ7.

Then I picked out 20 fat quarters, a turquoise solid for the sashing and navy for center and cornerstones.  I'm going to have 16 blocks, with 20 fans.

 I determined that I wanted to make 12" blocks.  So, I check the pie template and found the 16" block marking.  Determine that I needed 6.25 strips.  First I cut off the selvage.

Then I cut 6.25 x 18" strips.  I determined I would get the best use of fabric by cutting parrell to the selvage.

Then, I lined up the fans template, on the proper markings. Then, I placed my ruler over it (note I have TrueGrips on the Dresden Fan Template).  Then, cut.


Do the same on the opposite side.  And cut.


Keep alternating until you get to the end of that strip,  Repeat on the next. You should be able to end up with 16 fans.  Repeat for all Fat Quarters.  Note:  I stacked and iron sets of four.  Ironing them together keeps them together.


This is part 1 - Part 2 to come soon.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!