Day 3 - 31 Day Blog Challenge and My Machine

Snowy Tuesday here in CT!

I hope you are enjoying this 31 Day Blog Challenge as much as I am.  I have to say it has been more fun than I expected.  I'm a little tired of talking about myself, but I've received several emails stating how much you all are enjoying it.  Please feel free to post comments here. 

Today's Challenge topic is to discuss our sewing machine, plus I will be giving the 3rd tidbit (fun fact) to prepare you for my next Mystery Series, Grand Central, which starts in January.

My Machine(s)
My main sewing machine is a Pfaff Icon Performance.  I absolutely love it.  I've sewn on a Pfaff for over 30 years.  I've had this model for about 18 months.  It is a workhorse, my favorite Pfaff to date.
My Pfaff Icon Performance
I especially love the IDT - Integrated Dual Feed technology precisely feeds several layers of fabric from the top and bottom for perfect stitching every time.  It's like having a walking foot on all the time, without the bulk of a walking foot.  Love it!    I sometimes forget that not everyone's sewing machine will go over anything and my testers have to remind me.  LOL.

Downstairs, in my Main Studio, I have Pfaff Sensation Pro, I've had this model for years and it has pieced many a quilts for me.  When I travel, I take this machine as it is a little smaller, but still has all my favorite features; IDT, Needle down, Foot hover, great stitches, and a great 1/4" foot. 

My Creative Sensation Pro

Prior to my Icon, I had a Pfaff Creative Sensation, which was a great machine as well.  I wore it out.  LOL! 

 My Creative Sensation
However, in the years prior to the Sensation Pro, I had two Pfaff Creative Visions, that I clocked hundreds of hours on and the Creative Vision was my favorite Pfaff sewing machine, until the Icon came out.  I was on the waitlist for the original Creative Vision when it came out in the mid 2000s.  I purchased the second one, when we moved to CT, to have a 2nd "used" machine in my satellite Sunroom Studio.  I traded them in to purchase the Sensations. 
Creative Vision

My Oma always sewed on a Pfaff, and I was fortunate enough (or spoiled) to learned to sew on a Pfaff.  The first Pfaff I owned was given to me in 1987, my Oma gave me a Creative 1471 for my high school graduation.  I still own it, I cherish it, it is a brick but still works.  Through college, I would supplement my income, by taking side jobs from my Grandmother, who was a custom drapery maker.  My roommates were thrilled. Hmmm, probably not as I took over the apartment.
Creative 1471
For my College graduation, my Oma came through again, and gave me Tiptronic 1171.  I sewed my first quilt on this machine, and several dozen more.  I still have it, it's too sentimental to sell.   I didn't realize until I went to purchase my own Pfaff, what an expensive set of machines my Oma gave me.  Considering she was a drapery maker, she really couldn't afford it, but I guess she saw how much I loved sewing.  I'm forever grateful to her.

All through the 90s I lugged my Tiptronic 1171 everywhere.   I mean lug as it has all metal parts.  It traveled with me to numerous states, always sewing away!  
Tiptronic 1171
In early 2002, Stephen was helping me "load in" to my first class in Chicago, and he saw the fancy new computerized Pfaff machines.  He talked me into getting a Creative 2124.   It took some convincing as it cost what seems like a fortunate at the time.  This machine holds a special place in my heart, as this machine brought me be out of my 911 haze.    I still own it, I used it for years as my primary machine and as a backup after I got my first Creative Vision.  It still gets used, as I actually loan it to quilters who fly in for my retreats. 
Creative 2124
Well, I've probably bored you to death through my journey of machines... I was probably only suppose to state my current machine(s).  However, my machines hold a special part of my life.   I think they are like quilts, when we look at them, we think of our life's happening at the time we made the quilts or used the machines.  

Okay, onto our second topic.  Much more fun.

Grand Central Mystery Quilt Series

If you are just joining, be sure to scroll through my last few posts to get caught up on my next Mystery!  Grand Central Mystery series will run from mid-January to mid-April.  Similar to last year's Sunset on the Sound series.

Today, I'm going to share the third of seven fun facts that were part of the inspiration for my Grand Central Mystery Quilt design.  If you pay attention, you might be able to envision some of the "shapes" that you might find in the mystery quilt.

The Vanderbilt Hall Chandeliers - Absolutely gorgeous! 

From directly below the light refracts from them!    Don't take try to take this photo during commuting hours... only a snow storm, and low foot traffic, enables you to take this photo!

Vanderbilt Hall Chandeliers from Below

Each of the Chandeliers weigh 2500 lbs. and glow with 132 light bulbs surrounded by carved oak leaves.  Like other elements of Grand Central, the chandeliers evoke a century ago feeling but with an up-to-date twist. The chandeliers originally contained bare incandescent light bulbs, which were considered a commercial novelty in 1913, according to MTA Metro-North. 

This was part of showcasing the station’s embrace of electricity. However, the 110 bulbs on each chandelier use much more energy than the newer efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs.   In 2009, electricians replaced thousands of bulbs in Grand Central with the fluorescent ones, including hundreds on the chandeliers, and MTA Metro-North stated it produced a savings of $200,000 per year on electricity.  They should lower the price of my ticket - just saying. 
Just Brilliant
The Beaux Arts chandeliers demonstrate how those who built Grand Central a century ago wanted train travelers to feel an experience of grand luxury. There are 10 melon-shaped chandeliers framing the Main Concourse; five on the north balcony and five to the south in front of Vanderbilt Hall, each of them possess a timeless simplicity. 

The chandeliers are nickel and gold-plated, each 11 feet wide by 18 feet high. Their shimmer and reflections help produce a sparkle within the concourse. You can see the Chandeliers from almost everywhere on the Main Level.


My normal view of the Chandeliers comes as I walk to and from the subway.  Most days I don't have time to stop and take it in... but I try and at least glance up for a moment. 


A quick glance up
What do you think?  Aren't they stunning> 

Are you starting to get some ideas about the mystery quilt?  

I'm so excited about this one.  Let's be honest, I'm excited about all of them, or I wouldn't do them.  

Quick recap, here is what you should know,so far, about my Grand Central Mystery Quilt Series: 
  • The Series will run from mid-January to mid-April
  • Two sizes to choose from; Large Throw or Queen
  • Required tools are the Studio 180 Design: 
  • Recommended tools are Studio 180 Design:
    • Tucker Trimmer II - for subcut - ideal for sub cutting strips ending in 1/4" and 3/4" 
  • I plan on releasing yardage over the next two weeks.  Make sure to subscribe to my Blog for more information this week.
  • New Grand Central Facebook group for those planning on participating in Grand Central Quilt Mystery Series.  Be sure to answer all the screening questions or you will be declined.  If you are a member, in good standing, of another one of my groups, you will not have to answer the questions. 

Upcoming December Blog Topics, in addition to the 31 Day Blog Challenge :
    • The rest of this week, I have a few more inspiring architecture tidbits of Grand Central... 
    • Next week, I plan on taking you step-by-step through selecting the proper border for your Grand Central mystery quilt.
    • The third week of December, I plan on taking you step-by-step through selecting the proper fabric to go with that border.
    • The fourth week, we will see what I come up with!

Thanks for joining me daily!  Let me know if you are enjoying it. 

Keep stitching,
Michelle

Comments

  1. Great posting. I love chandeliers. They are sew enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me want to go to Grand Crntral Station for a look.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!