Block 18 ~ Sky Rocket ~ So fun!

Block 18 is revealed! 

The Sky Rocket, credited to Ruby McKim, in the Kansas City Star, date November 21, 1928.   I find this block to be extremely unique, I love all the sub-designs within the block.  I don’t remember ever seeing this block in anything recent, I may need to do something more with it!
Michelle's Block 18 ~ Sky Rocket ~Fabric Selection 1

However, I did find this block design referenced, over the 1930s, as different block names; Dogtooth Violet (Chicago Tribune in 1936), The Album (Kansas City Star in 1937) and Jewel Boxes (Chicago Tribune in 1939).  I can totally see why someone would call this block Jewel Boxes.  However, Ruby’s name for this block, Sky Rocket, in 1929, does have me wondering what the folks of those times thought a Sky Rocket was... However, it is a fitting name, even to this day.

Michelle's Block 18 ~ Sky Rocket - Fabric Selection 2
Sky Rocket is made up of Corner Beams, pairs of Combination units, and Quarter Square Triangles in the center star.  Both the Combination Units and Quarter Square Triangle are made with the Tucker Trimmer.  Gosh, I love how much you can do with that Tucker Trimmer! 

The last time we made Combination units was back at Block 3 (some of you may have made it more recently with the catch-up week), so be sure to take your time.  Remember if you can press one set of those mirror images towards the large triangle and another set to the small triangles, they will nest when you sew them together.

Which you are going to want to do; the easiest way to put this block together is to sew the Combination units together and press open.   Remember to use those pressing seam sticks to help you press open.  I promise you, you will be happy you did so, when that seam is flat!

You will also want to sew the center star together, this comes together easily, once you get over how small the pieces are, and you will be able to nest your seams. 

Then as always, make sure you are double (and triple) checking the layout before you stitch everything together.  I always lay the block out, take a photo and look at the photo, before I sew it together.  Then, take your time to stitch it together.  You know what Grandmom says; rushing leads to ripping.  :)

As you can see, my paper plates are never far away.  Make sure to visit Block 3's post, to see how I use my paper plates to keep me organized.

For my color plans this week, I went with a Split Complimentary for my Fabric Selection 1.  Selecting that fabulous Fuchsia (16), grouping it with its complimentary colors across the color wheel; Chartreuse (2)- Aqua-Green (6).  I was lucky to have a fabric that has most of those colors plus the Fushia.  Love it!
Michelle's Fabric Selection 1
For my second fabric selection, I went with a Triadic color plan.  Starting with the Violet (13), I then went 8 tabs down to the Green (5) and up 8 tabs to the Orange (21).   Remember, these numbers come from the Color Wheel tools.


If you have been holding off on getting yourself a pressing stick or color wheel, this is the week to do it.!   Get 18% off all my Color Tools and Pressing Tools through Thursday, May 31st, while supplies last, using code MEMO18

Well, that is all my tips and tricks for this week. 

One last reminder to consider signing up for my Quilter's Choice Class, that has been added at the Vermont Quilt Festival.  It is being held on Saturday, June 23rd.  You can select from my patterns; Sparkle, Spring Bouquet, or Bloom!    You can sign up here: #312 Sparkle/Spring Bouquet/Bloom

Okay, I know it is a holiday weekend, but be sure to download your Block 18~Sky Rocket before Thursday, May 31st.   Click here: Download

Have a great weekend!  Be safe!

Don't forget to stitch,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!