Block 14 - Doris' Delight!

Block 14! Doris’ Delight, appeared in the Farm Journal and Farmer’s Wife, in 1941.  Doris’ Delight utilizes the same Peaky and Spike Units (aka V Block) as Grandma’s Delight (Block 13), to create fabulous star points which provides the block with a lot of movement. 
 
Block 14 - Doris' Delight

Doris’ Delight is very similar to The Eight Pointed Star, featured in Needlecraft, 1918, with the exception of the center.  Doris’ Delight features a Square-in-Square which give a little extra sparkle in the center.  In my research, I couldn’t find any one given credit for this block, however, I’m hoping a “Doris” was the creator.  Or, that Doris was someone special to the creator.  In any case, it is delightful.

I hope you all caught last Sunday's post, where I revealed my first Quilt Setting, Grandma's Blessing.  If you missed it, check it out here, Grandma's Blessing.  It utilizes any (12) Timeless with a Twist Blocks and (13) Block 13- Grandma's Star.  Make sure to download it by 11pm on Sunday.  April 15th, as it will not be available again until the end of the series, in the book. 


In celebration of completing one quilt setting, I decided to change my Fabric Selection #2 to Dot Crazy, designed by two fabulous artists and friends, Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr.  Dot Crazy is part of the Benartex' Contempo Line.  I LOVE IT!  As many of you know, I love DOTS! 

I selected a Fat Quarter Roll (okay I have two of them) and a light blue solid for background.

Michelle's Fabric Selection #2 - Dot Crazy.

I decided to go with a Split Complementary plan for both my Fabric Selections, #1 & #2.

My original Fabric Selection #1, I wanted to bring back that strong Aqua-Green #6, that I used in an earlier block to balance that block.  I paired it with a floral mix of Blue-Red #18/Green #5 and a light Blue-Red #18.  That pink polka dot, is actually darker than it is photographing but still light.


For the new Fabric Selection #2, I love, love that Green #5, so I wanted that as my medium, to anchor the corners of the block.  Then, I paired it with a Red-Violet #14, and Blue-Red #18.


Remember, if you are looking for help with your color selections, I have the two color tools I use in my Etsy shop, you can check them out here: Sew On The Go Shop.

This block really is a delight, it brings together V Block which I introduced last week.  The corners are anchored with Half Square Triangles (get that Tucker Trimmer 1 out again!) .  In the center for a little extra sparkle is the Square-in-Square, which you learned a few weeks ago.  You can use either the original Square2 or the Large Square Squared

Michelle's Fabric Selection #2 ~ Block 14 ~ Doris' Delight
This block really comes together easily, its a delight for sure.  Just make sure to follow the pressing instructions in the download.    Don't be afraid to pin; I always tell my students, you are either going to take the time to pin now, or rip later.  :)  

Go get those Block 13 finished and share on the Timeless with a Twist Facebook group!

I have to run and go pack for Paducah! 

Keep Stitching,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!