Whimsical Wonder is Clue #7!

 Whimsical Wonder is Clue #7 - It is really a fantastic block!  I'm introducing the Corner Beam officially to the series.   So, we will be making Corner Beams with the Corner Beam tool and Shaded 4-Patch Unit with our Tucker Trimmer tool  So tada!  


First, I wanted to invite you to join me on Wednesday, May 25th, when I go LIVE on Facebook to take questions on the current Mystery, (remember it is a Mystery), questions on the next Mystery, last Mystery, upcoming retreats, patterns, etc.   It will be Wednesday, 7pm EDT.  You can RSVP and get a reminder at: FB Event - Ask me Anything


Hopefully, I can keep the Mystery a Mystery. LOL!

So, back to Glorious Splendor.  I'm just loving this Mystery and hoping you are too.  

For my Fabric Selection I went with a mix of color and prints.  For the Medium and Med-Dark, I would try and select fabric that is in the same color way but slightly different shaded and style of print.

Introducing a new tool and technique to the series, the Corner Beam.  Be very careful cutting the Center Beam. 

Right Handed - Make sure to use the dotted line and the proper size line

Right Handed - for the second cut take your time to line up the Dash..Dot..Dash line and have the tool at the top of your square.

Left Handed - Make sure to use the dotted line and the proper size line


Left Handed - for the second cut take your time to line up the Dash..Dot..Dash line and have the tool at the left of your square.


My biggest recommendation, is to make one Corner Beam unit end-to-end first.   

Have the beam going away from you.

Always place the Center Beam on top when sewing and make sure to check for that 1/4" off set.

Once sewn and pressed (be very careful), turn your plate around.

Again, make sure you sew with the Center Beam on top for that second Side Triangle. 

When prepping for trimming, always have the Beam coming toward you.  "Beam me up Scotty" - Beam to me.

Right Handed above- Be careful not to pull the seam lines of the Corner Beam Tool into the Beam, you will short change yourself your 1/4" in that corner.  Left Handed below. 


Right Handed above- Turn your unit and take the time to line up the proper size, the proper little V and the hashmarks.  Left below.

Tada!
You have been making the Diamond Rects for several clues, so I will skip tips on that. Just be sure to check for the proper size.  Check prior blog post for additional tips. 

New Unit to the series - Shaded 4-Patch Unit, one of my favs!  This is a really cool technique, there is a Shaded 4-Patch Technique Sheet that offers all the measurements for alternate sizes.  

Here are a few tips.
Always press toward the wider strip (even if it is background)

Cut the strip in half.

Place them right sides together, opposite each other.

Make your sub cut and sew.  Sew with the patch closest to you, if you want the diagrams and photos to match. 

Once sewn, you will want to "nip" it in the middle.  I like to "just" cut through the stitching line.


Then press away from the squares

Press well from the back and the front

My Paisley Rose version


Next you need to draw 45 degree lines that intersect the seams of the square (not the square) - Left Handed

See the 2 lines

Right Handed

I like to pin my units just to make sure they stay together nicely.

Here it is sewn.

I'd recommend cutting it a 1/4" off each seam.  There is a little more than a 1/2" in between, which may give you a bulky seam. 

Next is trim down, and you want to make sure you are trimming the side with the square first, as it is the most pieced.  Right shown 


Turn 180 and line up again to trim.

Next is trim down, and you want to make sure you are trimming the side with the square first, as it is the most pieced.


Turn 180 and line up again to trim.

Tada!

Block construction!
Layout your Shaded 4-Patch Units


Due to the seam, I'd recommend double pinning and starting with a leader.  I didn't flip half the seam, to be able to nest, because I didn't like the seam going against the patch.  I found the double pinning worked.   

Once I got the rows sewn, I double pinned again when putting the center together.

Highly recommend marking the Corner Beams seam with a 1/4" mark to help with pinning. 

If you look closely you can see the 1/4" marks above.

Lay out your block carefully, making sure you have the correct orientation of your Corner Beams.

You will want to precision pin these points - Well, I wanted to.  I'd rather sew take the time to pin than to un-sew later.

The pinning for my Corner Beams and Diamond Rects

My pinning for my Center and Diamond Rects.

Make sure to put everything back in place the right way.


Then, it is time to precision pin again, in all the same places.

TADA!
Bermuda Batik version 

My Paisley Rose version

I'm really loving this series, I hope you are too.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Join me  on Wednesday, May 25th, when I go LIVE on Facebook to take questions on the current Mystery, (remember it is a Mystery), questions on the next Mystery, last Mystery, upcoming retreats, patterns, etc.   It will be Wednesday, 7pm EDT.  You can RSVP and get a reminder at: FB Event - Ask me Anything

Hope to see you there!

Keep Stitching,
Michelle 


Comments

Popular Posts

A New Deb Tucker Pattern for our Northern Neighbors!

Quilt Block Mania - School Girl's Puzzle

Atlantic Flyway Class Sample

Stashbuster #2 Turning Up Pumpkins

Diamond Delight is twice the delight!