Sew On The Go is authored by Michelle Renee Hiatt, who is the designer for her own pattern line Sew On The Go as well as Modern 180, a modern pattern division of Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design. Additionally, Michelle is a certified Studio 180 Design Instructor, as well as a certified Professional Process Expert (LSSMBB); she uses her process improvement techniques and applies them to her quilting and teaching others how to simplify their piecing while improving the quality of their quilt making. Michelle Renee is known for her humor, enthusiasm and encouragement! Michelle can be reached on her website @www.Sewonthego.netor her blogwww.sewonthego.blogspot.com

Monday, June 4, 2012

What is the biggest boo-boo or blunder you've committed when making a quilt?

In response to McCall's Quilting-July/August 2012 issue's Q&A - Page 14 ..... What is the biggest boo-boo or blunder you've committed when making a quilt?


Please share your story.

Mine, you ask...

In my defense, it was my second quilt and I had only taken one beginner class - which was a log cabin quilt prior. I saw a great pattern in Fons and Porter, with pin wheels and I loved it. I decided that I knew math and I could figure it out. Well, on top of never haven't working with HST, I wanted to make it smaller (yes that is correct), I wanted a baby quilt but the pattern was for a double. So, I decided that it's all in the math. So, if I made the finished squares 50% smaller that it would work. So, I simply cut all the measurements in half.... So, 4 7/8" squares were cut to 2 7/16".... yes, no lie. then I cut them diagonally.... To add to it, I cut all the fabric first. Of course it didn't work. I believe I still have all the batik scraps in my scrap bin. Of course I went out and bought new fabric and picked a different pattern.

So, tell me your story...

No comments:

Post a Comment